• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’ve spent some money this month!!!

View attachment 1391
Lez, Is Mrs Lez liking all this spending just before Xmas or are they for her? 😆

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Lez, Is Mrs Lez liking all this spending just before Xmas or are they for her? 😆
If I told you I put them in the attic before she got home give you a hint??

Reactions: DB9

Colesman Ballz

If I told you I put them in the attic before she got home give you a hint??
Sounds like my cousin. Before entering his front door he would nip around the back lane, and slide his latest kit purchases under the garage door, to be collected later at an opportune moment !

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like my cousin. Before entering his front door he would nip around the back lane, and slide his latest kit purchases under the garage door, to be collected later at an opportune moment !
She won’t go in the attic so I’m safe lol

the cost thing works on one item purchases.. buying 90 was a different situation

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
On the workbench this week.. I bought 10 of these kits so have given each member of the model club a kit each and challenge is to build it for judging in December
6C4939D9-42C0-49E5-8E67-DC31DF3DF248.jpeg

Colesman Ballz

On the workbench this week.. I bought 10 of these kits so have given each member of the model club a kit each and challenge is to build it for judging in December
View attachment 1403
Gosh a Vickers Viscount, I well remember my flight in one of those during the mid eighties. I was working on a project in York city centre which was a cushy two hour run on the train from Kings X. However the firms No 2 was going on the trip so we had to bleddy fly instead. A long trip out to Heathrow, a flight to Leeds Bradford, then pick up a Merc hire car and a long drive instead ! The flight was in a British Midland Viscount which they had just purchased 2nd or 3rd hand from Kenya. The three abreast seats were canvas suspended from steel frames and tiny. The three of us were 6' 2", 6' 4" and 6' 6" ! Fortunately the others were heading on further north to visit other sites so I returned first class by train with a nice three course meal on route. Now I love flying, and whilst it was great to fly in a Viscount, for my first and only time, bleddy uncomfortable would be a gross understatement.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
They stopped manufacturing them in the mid 60's too.. Last one flew in 2009 to Jersey..

The engine they used in the 800 was a Rolls Royce Dart that was fitted to many classic planes including a Mustang, the original Gulfstream and a B17 Flying Fortress.. RR had a thing with naming engines after rivers.. Dart, Exe, Conway, Tyne.. and the obvious one.. The Trent :)

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

I remember them flying over Exeter many times a day in the mid to late 60's. They were at a height of 15-20,000 ft using "Amber 25" the airway that runs down from Manchester to Spain. Wwhilst we could identify the airlines through our telescopes, we could identify the individual planes by their call signs when radioing in to the Berry Head control centre (using VHF aircraft frequency radios).

Nowadays it is a damn sight easier, just logging on to a tracking website that shows every plane as it flies over the uk/world in real time.

Last edited:

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
47045B46-B6C8-490B-A107-D24F8E2BC947.jpeg
Well after a tad more filler, liquid gravity installed inside by drilling a hole to stop it being a tail sitter

the primer is on ready for final airbrushing

Should be finished by Wednesday

Reactions: DB9

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
They stopped manufacturing them in the mid 60's too.. Last one flew in 2009 to Jersey..

The engine they used in the 800 was a Rolls Royce Dart that was fitted to many classic planes including a Mustang, the original Gulfstream and a B17 Flying Fortress.. RR had a thing with naming engines after rivers.. Dart, Exe, Conway, Tyne.. and the obvious one.. The Trent :)
And the Armstrong
Gosh a Vickers Viscount, I well remember my flight in one of those during the mid eighties. I was working on a project in York city centre which was a cushy two hour run on the train from Kings X. However the firms No 2 was going on the trip so we had to bleddy fly instead. A long trip out to Heathrow, a flight to Leeds Bradford, then pick up a Merc hire car and a long drive instead ! The flight was in a British Midland Viscount which they had just purchased 2nd or 3rd hand from Kenya. The three abreast seats were canvas suspended from steel frames and tiny. The three of us were 6' 2", 6' 4" and 6' 6" ! Fortunately the others were heading on further north to visit other sites so I returned first class by train with a nice three course meal on route. Now I love flying, and whilst it was great to fly in a Viscount, for my first and only time, bleddy uncomfortable would be a gross understatement.
Using Viscounts, British United Airways had the contract to transport Rhine Army troops to Germany. My destination was invariably RAF Gutersloh. British Eagle operated the Bristol Britannia fitted with their own Proteus engines, had the contract to fly troops and their families to the far east. The journey to Singapore from Heathrow took a bum numbing 18.5 hours landing at Istanbul, Bombay and finally Paya Lebar.