• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought it displayed a Corbyn bias and I also thought the BBC woman in charge was bias against BJ, she was probably overcompensating because the ITV woman in the week was criticised for allegedly not ‘reining in’ Boris during the ITV Debate.
On the three or four occasions, I've applied for tickets for Question Time, or Any Questions, there has been quite an in-depth questionnaire to fill in, with a view to ensuring the audience is at least a fairly representative cross section of society; I assume this remains the case today.

Some Tories are making much of the fact an actor who had a small part in a Ken Loach film was in the audience and asked [Jo Swinson] a question. I don't really get this – as far as I'm aware actors get to vote and are every bit as entitled to apply to be in the Question Time audience as anyone else.

As an aside, I understand Question Time does take measures to ensure the same party activists don't appear week in week out. That being the case, once can only assume the Tory activist Ryan Jacobs who has featured in recent Question Time broadcasts from Peterborough, Scarborough, Lincoln, and Sheffield may have been 'economic with the truth' when completing his application for tickets. Still, if it's good enough for Boris...

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
And so it's all going to plan for Corbyn. Today's Observer Opinium poll has the Tories opening a 19 (!!) Point lead over Labour (47-28). Were that to actually happen, we're talking 3 figure majority territory. Yowz.

tavyred

And so it's all going to plan for Corbyn. Today's Observer Opinium poll has the Tories opening a 19 (!!) Point lead over Labour (47-28). Were that to actually happen, we're talking 3 figure majority territory. Yowz.
I don’t think the metropolitan left at the top of Labour had any idea of how exposed it was to its Brexit voting base in this GE. If it did, then it obviously chose to ignore them or dupe them like it did last time.
Until Labour expunges it’s problem with the patriotic, aspirational and non-university educated working class in this country, then it is nowhere IMO.

DB9

Johnson pledging today not to raise taxes according to reports but despite this he has made a lot of pledges regarding public services etc, They keep asking where Labour will get its money from, Where are the Tories getting their money from? A forest of magic money trees perhaps or are our kids and grand children going to be in hock for it and will pay the price?

tavyred

Johnson pledging today not to raise taxes according to reports but despite this he has made a lot of pledges regarding public services etc, They keep asking where Labour will get its money from, Where are the Tories getting their money from? A forest of magic money trees perhaps or are our kids and grand children going to be in hock for it and will pay the price?
That might have been a pertinent question had not Labour not just committed to a £12bn per year for 5 years payment to the Waspi women this morning. You’ll have to guess why this spending wasn’t in their manifesto announced just 4 days ago. :)

DB9

That might have been a pertinent question had not Labour not just committed to a £12bn per year for 5 years payment to the Waspi women this morning. You’ll have to guess why this spending wasn’t in their manifesto announced just 4 days ago. :)
It's still a pertinent question as you say the Tories are way ahead in the polls then they would be returned, Labour can pledge what they want it won't mean a thing if they're not elected, So I ask the question again, If you're not going to raise taxes etc and have pledged all this money, Where will it come from and who pays in the end? Don't say Brexit bonus because as much as people like to gee it up, No one knows what will happen and the Government's own statistics says the economy will shrink

Alistair20000

If polling continues to look gruesome for Magic Grandpa and Labour expect next the promise of “free” football season tickets, restaurant vouchers, electric cars and foreign holidays. Paid for by just the top 5% of income earners natch.

Anything else they have missed ?

I assume the Manifesto writer has been disciplined for leaving out the Waspi promise. Terrible oversight.

Alistair20000

It's still a pertinent question as you say the Tories are way ahead in the polls then they would be returned, Labour can pledge what they want it won't mean a thing if they're not elected, So I ask the question again, If you're not going to raise taxes etc and have pledged all this money, Where will it come from and who pays in the end? Don't say Brexit bonus because as much as people like to gee it up, No one knows what will happen and the Government's own statistics says the economy will shrink
Expect a few Tory stealth taxes.

DB9

Expect a few Tory stealth taxes.
Oh I do and expect it on the most vulnerable people in our society too, The Tories are good at that and have current history as evidence. But as long as they "Get Brexit Done" Those that will suffer the most will be told they got it done and their "Betters" know best

Oldsmobile-88

Both parties are making daft pledges that will tie the hands of whoever the Chancellor is post 13th December.