• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red card rescinded

Legohead

Banned
To be fair I would suggest that the rescinding doesn't necessarily indicate that it wasn't a foul.
Just that the "offence" was did not merit a sending off.
Yes that's fair enough Grecian2k. I only thought that IMO it wasn't a foul but fouls get given for breathing near another player nowadays so i can accept the foul being given by the officials. The decision to pluck a card of ANY colour out of his top pocket for it though was an obvious and unacceptable misjudgement.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
One thing I do feel is a bit of an aberration in the current rules is that, while you can appeal a straight red they do not allow appeals for a dismissal resulting from a 'double yellow" - even though either card might have been equally contentious.

While I would fully anticipate (and well understand) a FA objection that such a change could result in a completely unmanageable avalanche of appeals to consider then, maybe, a 'Double Yellow - Double Jeopardy" approach - i.e. if your double yellow appeal fails you get the penalty doubled!

Spoonz Red E

I think that must be the first red card rescinded for Exeter in a very long time.
This is the last one I can remember.

As you say - a long time ago.

We appealed (rightly IMHO) both red cards after a 5-1 defeat at Colchester but the FA wouldn't have it.
Film of the second 'red card' challenge showed the Colchester player tripping over his own feet.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is the last one I can remember.

As you say - a long time ago.

We appealed (rightly IMHO) both red cards after a 5-1 defeat at Colchester but the FA wouldn't have it.
Film of the second 'red card' challenge showed the Colchester player tripping over his own feet.
Bad memories of that game. Soulless ground. Awful ref. Embarrassing "Red Wheelbarrows" half time show. Thuggish Colchester fans; had to keep v. quiet on the bus back to the station. We were drawing until the two red cards.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good news. Very surprised thats happened. It was a very soft red, but these things don't usually work in the favour of clubs like Exeter.

Red Bill

It's a fair point Billy and i'd not actually thought of that. Yes, the Bradford player should automatically recieve the 3 match ban that Parkes would have gotten if the red had stood IMO. Of course that won't happen though.
What a great idea, would certainly make players think about it more than the positivity of yellow for simulation. I understand it's quite expensive to unsuccessfully challenge a red card, if a successful challenge, where the red was due to an act of simulation, meant the costs were passed to his team, clubs might be a bit more pro-active in discouragin that kind of behaviour in the first place.

PeteUSA

Never any doubt. Shocking decision by the officials and fortunately we were already dead and buried when Parkes went off. Just a question. When these red cards get rescinded, does anyone contact the officials responsible and give them a ticking off! Human error I can accept but that decision I can't. Blatantly and obviously not even a foul never mind a card of either colour.

You're way off with your "not even a foul" analysis, Lego. Without a doubt that referee and linesman saw Parkes pulling the opponent back by the shoulder and acted accordingly. The astonishing thing is that the referee issued a straight red, I assume because he considered the player had been denied a goalscoring chance. Thats where the error might be with that. Their player was a long way from bearing down on goal, he was out very wide when the infringement occured and a red card was obviously inappropriate by todays rules. I'm sure he's been told.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Legohead and I were there. We both agree it wasn't a foul.

PeteUSA

Legohead and I were there. We both agree it wasn't a foul.

You need to play that incident back and watch in a proper manner. There is clearly a point where Parkes pulled their player back by the shoulder, albeit briefly. Thats when the linesman flagged - he had a perfect view, not unlike the angle I saw it at from the opposite direction. The player tried to continue but ultimately went down. A red card no, a definite yellow though, whether you were there or not.

Fareham Grecian

You need to play that incident back and watch in a proper manner. There is clearly a point where Parkes pulled their player back by the shoulder, albeit briefly. Thats when the linesman flagged - he had a perfect view, not unlike the angle I saw it at from the opposite direction. The player tried to continue but ultimately went down. A red card no, a definite yellow though, whether you were there or not.
You are a complete idiot. And the tv highlights will confirm it 😄