• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bring Back Alex The Greek

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is it just me that thinks the lion mascot is rubbish? It's unoriginal, uninspiring and irrelevant to who we are. Alex, on the other hand, was unique, inspiring, and a perfect match for our history.
I suspect you're decidely in the minority about our present day lion being "rubbish". I think its extremely insulting to Tim Sumner, who's donned that outfit in all winds and weathers for well over 12 years. He's also an extremely nice bloke who I had the pleasure of meeting in the center spot when I was back there in 2006 - He was doing the lion thing at that time, and I think he deserves far more consideration before being replaced with a bloke dressed up as some sort of gladiator. I dont think Alex worked well, and I dont think Athena was much of a representation of our club either, constantly getting yelled at to: "Get her ***s out" and promoting chants from away fans like: "Do you take it up yer a*s"! Not a good example to the woman and children watching and listening. I much prefer something furry and cuddley!

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would vote yay for bringing back athena.... ☑

StroudGrecian

The fact that Alex was banned from some away games is a reflection on how humourless some football clubs have become. I mean, honestly, it's an overweight guy dressed in pretend armour with a shield. Personally, I'd be more worried about the fan who's had 10 pints before the match and just got out of jail for GBH.
While I certainly agree with your second sentence, Alex the Greek did push the boundaries of mascot etiquette, including one memorable afternoon at Cheltenham when he pushed their mascot Robin to the floor, skewered it with his spear, and then ripped its feet off and hurled them into the home crowd, who funnily enough didn't see the funny side of it. IIRC it was the reason he was banned from Argyle and I think Hull later that season. Mind you that was nothing compared to the 'shoot that turkey' incident...

So, Alex the Greek, or Grecian the Lion? How about Alex the Lion? surely no-one could object to such a novel idea.

IndoMike

While I certainly agree with your second sentence, Alex the Greek did push the boundaries of mascot etiquette, including one memorable afternoon at Cheltenham when he pushed their mascot Robin to the floor, skewered it with his spear, and then ripped its feet off and hurled them into the home crowd, who funnily enough didn't see the funny side of it. IIRC it was the reason he was banned from Argyle and I think Hull later that season. Mind you that was nothing compared to the 'shoot that turkey' incident...

So, Alex the Greek, or Grecian the Lion? How about Alex the Lion? surely no-one could object to such a novel idea.
How about Alex the Geek? He could wear heavy rimmed glasses, and have a notepad and pencil, wandering around in deep thought..

tonykellowfan

Since nobody knows for sure why we are called the Grecians, why is an ancient Greek soldier any more relevant to us than a cuddly lion?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not overly excited either way but if Alex was to make a return then I would imagine that a new Foam based comic character would have to be created as opposed to the original Hoplite type uniform worn, makes more sense than just having Grecian the lion and now that we have introduced two mascots one could contiue as Grecian and the other Alex.

This said unlikely to happen as we have just launched the two new lions, with sponsorship, and perhaps should have been something considered prior to tying up the new deal.

Over the years my kids quite enjoyed the antics of Grecian and they are now both in their twenties, although trying to explain the relevance of a lion to a club nicknamed the Grecians was difficult.

Didn't Exeweb provide the original Lion costume and I maybe wrong but isn't Sumner 7 Grecian?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Didn't Exeweb provide the original Lion costume and I maybe wrong but isn't Sumner 7 Grecian?
We paid for and supplied the last one that Sumns used.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

Wasn't one interation of Alex the Greek someone we "signed" from Hull?

Anyway my uni housemates were at Ashton Gate when this happened:

I remember Sums donning the costume for an away match that I brought a couple of mates along to - they were falling about laughing at me chatting perfectly normally to a 6 foot lion.

Red Devon

Always remember Alex the Greek away at Cheltenham 2000 or 2001 season when he chased their Robin mascot 😂 Thing he moved on to Burton Albion shortly after that.

Spoonz Red E

Iirc Grecian the Lion came about from the "PRIDE OF DEVON" strapline brought in the Club's Commercial Dept about a dozen years back, so there is some relevance. Since Mascots are aimed firmly at our younger supporters (hence the departure of lamented Athena !) I am not sure that we should be pandering to the more carnal or violent leanings of those old enough to know better !

Given that the Commercial team have just concluded a new sponsorship deal with Crealy, your suggestion seems far from ideal in its timing.
There's also a lion on top of the Club crest.
As you can see, he's also a good crosser of the ball