• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bradford City v Exeter City official matchday thread

Legohead

Banned
I've not seen the highlights yet as still watching MOTD. I'll put them on in a bit but in real time i did think their striker was jumping all over Sweeney when the cross came over and i was right over the other side of the pitch. Even from where i was it looked a foul. So i'm interested in seeing that.

Also the Taylor tackle. Can anyone on here clarify the rules for me because i've been given conflicting info. On the one hand i've been told that because he's gone in without any control of his challenge then it's a red on that basis yet on another hand i've been told that if studs aren't showing and it's not a dangerous challenge then it should be a yellow. Personally although it did look bad in real time with the challenge looking worse because of the wet surface but it was obvious it was purely a mistimed tackle that was made worse by the momentum of his slide on the wet turf. I thought the ref would send him off swayed by the home crowds reaction but that it should really be a yellow.

Anyone clear this up? Thanks.

Legohead

Banned
Just seen the highlights. The challenge by Parkes wasn't even a foul IMO let alone a red card. Another shit ref. As for the Bradford opener, fair enough. Striker wanted it more. Sweeney was asleep.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Highlights from youtube; my first viewing. What the f*** did Maxted have in mind for their first goal? He had to be making some sort of challenge for that cross rather than staying rooted to the spot challenging them to have a go. Very poor goalkeeping which nobody seems to want to mention so far? Oh how we miss Ward. He would have dealt with that cross with little or no problem.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Nice to be home! £260 taxi fare from Birmingham, thankfully paid for by Cross Country.

Looking forward to my next away day!

tonykellowfan

Two goals that should have been stopped by the defence. Taylor should be angry.

grecIAN Harris

Two poor goals. I'm in agreement with Pete on first viewing about the first. That cross has gone through the six yard box so Maxted should be dealing with it one way or another even if it's just giving it a help palm on its way. The second is just awful. Martin and Parkes to start with and then Parkes was asleep when the striker nipped in in front of him. That Taylor red has been a long time coming. Legohead, why are you question it? British Rail used to turn up more on time in the 70s than Taylor did. It's a red all day long. Parkes red is poor refereeing by both ref and lino (who instantly flagged). Once again those who've quite obviously never played at any level getting conned again.

Banksy

Poor goals to let in , but to state the blinking obvious , it doesn’t help if we can’t hit a bar door with a banjo.

Legohead

Banned
Two poor goals. I'm in agreement with Pete on first viewing about the first. That cross has gone through the six yard box so Maxted should be dealing with it one way or another even if it's just giving it a help palm on its way. The second is just awful. Martin and Parkes to start with and then Parkes was asleep when the striker nipped in in front of him. That Taylor red has been a long time coming. Legohead, why are you question it? British Rail used to turn up more on time in the 70s than Taylor did. It's a red all day long. Parkes red is poor refereeing by both ref and lino (who instantly flagged). Once again those who've quite obviously never played at any level getting conned again.
Yeah fair enough about the Taylor sending off. Whether he went studs up or not it's a dangerous out of control challenge and I think most refs would have reached for the red card. I was just questioning what the law was in these circumstances rather than defending Taylor.

grecIAN Harris

Yeah fair enough about the Taylor sending off. Whether he went studs up or not it's a dangerous out of control challenge and I think most refs would have reached for the red card. I was just questioning what the law was in these circumstances rather than defending Taylor.
I don't think the law needs questioning when he's that late although I do think the footballing governing bodies need to understand that football is still a contact sport and that sliding tackles are always going to look bad if the ball isn't won. Either that or you just ban sliding tackles altogether.

Red Bill

Yes i recall that Law had a chance in the box but i didn't necessarily think it was a sitter. Be interesting to see that one back on the highlights RD.
The radio commentary said it was a dead cert, but Law just completely missed the ball.