• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Plymouth Argyle official matchday thread

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Reminds me of when flying back to London the day after our 0-0 with Man United - my dad and I still in our City shirts, and the guy with the scanner saying he was doing a more full search on us as he was a United fan and all his colleagues were Man City* fans and had given him non-stop flak all day.

*IIRC Man City had been dumped out of the Cup that weekend by lower league oppo, but it wasn't seen as being as bad as drawing with a non-league side.
Iirc Man City had lost at Oldham (3-1 ??) On the Saturday night at the hotel I was staying at, Man City fans were buying us drinks for "saving their bacon" ! But to be fair, so too were some Irish United fans, over for the weekend.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well my Devon Derby record is now P2 W2 F7 A0. I promise not to leave it another 26 years before my next one.

What an atmosphere (my throat is just about better now, and my knees won't thank me for all the bouncing), the players responded in kind.

My MOM was Collins, who seemed to play a lot more advanced than I've previously seen and was rewarded with a fine assist for Williams' goal. Special mention also for Woodman, who I thought was immense throughout, you wouldn't have known he hadn't featured for ages. He may be in his late 50s but he can still put in a shift.

Also a mention for the ref, who clearly knows how to ref derbies. He could easily have gone to his book in the first couple of minutes when Sweeney (I think) had about three goes at their player, but chose instead to calm things down and have a quiet word. That set the tone for what was then a feisty, competitive match played in the right spirit - the way it should be. A less able ref could easily have lost control.
Agree about the referee he had an excellent game. The best we have seen at the Park for some time and well supported by his assistants particularly the one in front of the IPS Stand. I thought the same thing an early card in a derby match could well have seen either team finishing the game with ten men.

Craig Woodman had an excellent game and I know it was a “typo” he is in his late 30s !! and to the best of my knowledge only Billy Meredith (Man City) and Sir Stanley Matthews (Stoke City) have taken their first class playing careers into their 50th year both retiring at the age of 50.....but who knows still time for Craig to join them lol

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Craig Woodman had an excellent game and I know it was a “typo” he is in his late 30s !!
Mid 30s, please, he's not 37 until December.

BTW Jamie Cureton is 44 now and I suspect he could still play at our level if he wanted to.

StroudGrecian

Perhaps he is our Pate ?
Pate's more Dick Woodacre vintage

PeteUSA

Pate's more Dick Woodacre vintage

"Tight Lines"! Or, was that Ted Tuckerman? :oops:

norfolk_exile

Pasoti currently in meltdown pulling out the stats over 100 years to prove they are Devons number 1! Bless em!!!

Also they seem to think Parkes goal was a lucky deflection on the free kick!!!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The EFL's team of the week. Just Nicky Law in the team.

DB9

Pasoti currently in meltdown pulling out the stats over 100 years to prove they are Devons number 1! Bless em!!!

Also they seem to think Parkes goal was a lucky deflection on the free kick!!!!
They just can't accept that they were beaten by the better team. Get over it!!! 😂😂

Andy_H

The EFL's team of the week. Just Nicky Law in the team.

But so is Ollie; "One of our own!"

IndoMike

But so is Ollie; "One of our own!"
We certainly have a 20% interest