• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There appears to be very little election fraud with voters assuming someone elses identity.

A bigger issue is postal voting,there is more potential to bend the rules & fraud with that method of voting.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There appears to be very little election fraud with voters assuming someone elses identity.

A bigger issue is postal voting,there is more potential to bend the rules & fraud with that method of voting.
"Appears to be..." is precisely it. Rumours abound (without concrete evidence, so this is all admittedly hearsay) of it being a bit more widespread than people think. I'd certainly agree re: postal voting.

Voter ID is not before time. Pretty much every other country the world over requires it for voting.

Mr Jinx

The Government making it a requirement to show photo ID in order to vote in future elections. For some inexplicable reason Labour going ballistic and calling it voter suppression. :)
In the same way they squeal whenever "boundary changes" comes up. Because it's really fair the Isle of Wight constituency has 110,000 constituents whereas the Outer Hebrides has only 21,000.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I don't think anyone would complain about photo ID, provided it could be government funded.

I had the same conversation with a friend and my wife yesterday. Leads back to ID cards as the only sensible way around it. A bit like in the former Communist satellite states.

That'll go down like a bag of cold sick.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I believe in NI, where there has been a requirement for voter ID for many years, voters can apply for a voter ID card (not sure if FOC or not) if they don't have other valid ID.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
In the same way they squeal whenever "boundary changes" comes up. Because it's really fair the Isle of Wight constituency has 110,000 constituents whereas the Outer Hebrides has only 21,000.
I do like the way anyone opposed to your view "squeals" Jinxy. Says more about you, than them.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I don't think anyone would complain about photo ID, provided it could be government funded.

I had the same conversation with a friend and my wife yesterday. Leads back to ID cards as the only sensible way around it. A bit like in the former Communist satellite states.

That'll go down like a bag of cold sick.
Of course, it's also required for mortgages, rental agreements, work, social security, marriage, mobile phone contacts... Just about anything you may wish to do.

And if you don't have it on you when stopped by police etc, there's a fine. Or if you don't update details immediately. Or if you don't register at a new address. The same with car ownership documents and insurance. Got to have them on you whenever you drive.

It's the way to go, IMHO.

Last edited:

iscalad

Of course, it's also required for mortgages, rental agreements, work, social security, marriage, mobile phone contacts... Just about anything you may wish to do.
Don't passports and the newer driving licences count as photo ID. What about bus passes?

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Absolutely, but you have to pay for them. If you never have any intention of going abroad, or like my grandmother, have never needed to drive...

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Bus passes could easily be forged.