• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crewe Alexandra v Exeter City Matchday Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It did look like Matt was upset by the lack of a decision. I also pointed out very politely to the assistant referee in front of us, why would our number 7 fall over when he was in such a good position.
I think the exact words were "I say Mr Referee's Assistant, I normally hesitate to offer an opinion but that was an indifferent decision." ;)

Red Monster

I'm not admitting that anybody get anything wrong. This whole debate only came about because a piece of long range footage transpired showing our player go down like a sack of shiit with little or no contact. If that had been anywhere near a penalty Taylor would have been all over it - and you know it. Give it up, the officials were excellent.
No long range footage on Quest tv stonewall penalty.

exeter-loyal

I'm not admitting that anybody get anything wrong. This whole debate only came about because a piece of long range footage transpired showing our player go down like a sack of shiit with little or no contact. If that had been anywhere near a penalty Taylor would have been all over it - and you know it. Give it up, the officials were excellent.
For that decision they weren't excellent, it was a definant pen and that's that.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I actually thought the Lee Martin incident was borderline at best as he appeared to be looking for it. The incident when Nicky Law dinked one and the sliding defender raised his arm to block it a few minutes previously was for me a clearer shout.

At around the hour mark I was remarking to those around me about whether we could keep up the tempo we'd set throughout - and it was seemingly "no". What sealed it for me in terms of our drop in intensity (allied to their effective use of their bench - the 7 in particular made a huge difference) was at a Crewe goal kick. All through the match we'd pressed them high up as they took short kicks, meaning we either regained possession through an interception or through them booting the ball out for a throw. Suddenly, about an hour in, they had a goal kick, took a short one and were allowed to stroll out with no City player within 40 yards of them. At that point I thought we were gone.

When we subbed off Sparkes, I also would have freshened up on the other flank with Richardson on for the equally knackered Williams.

However, for that first 60 that was as well as I could ever remember City playing - we were rampant and only a combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping kept the score down (and NLM and I were saying to each other during the first half that we hoped the lack of more goals wouldn't come back to bite us - grrrr!).

Oh, and Crewe has moved itself right near the top of my away day list. The Beer Dock before and after was excellent, with the locals probably the friendliest I have come across in a very long time. If we go up, I hope we bring them up with us so I can plan to be there next season.

Fareham Grecian

Here we go!

So you thought the decision by "the shocking officials" was okay, when the ball was driven in low on the right by a Crewe forward ? Under the new rules, although our defender totally had his back to that cross, his right arm was in a totally unnatural position i.e. sticking out by his side, when the ball clearly struck him. That was OK was it? It looked for all the world like a penalty to me, whereas the incident posted above is totally inconclusive, obviously with the possibility of cheating not being applied.
Christ Pete, have a word with yourself! Does it never puzzle you that you always put the worst slant on things from a City POV, even when you are out of step with everyone else on Exeweb??

And you have deliberately misquoted exeter-loyal’s post to change its meaning; he/she said the decision was shocking, not the officials themselves.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shock horror! Referee makes a mistake!!
In theory it should more or less balance itself out through a season
If it doesn't, it means refs hate Exeter City and have got it in for us : they might have had a duff pasty or a pint of scrumpy with a piece of rat's tail inside it.

Last edited:

grecianstew

Shock news! Referee makes a mistake!!
In theory it should more or less balance itself out through a season
If it doesn't, it means refs hate Exeter City and have got it in for us : they might have had a duff pasty or a pint of scrumpy with a piece of rat's tail inside it.
In terms of numbers that is pretty much true, it is though the timing of such "erroneous" decisions that is often critical. The lucky team gets a dodgy decision in it's favour late on in a tight game whereas the unlucky teams gets its dodgy decisions in a game that is already won or lost.

Grecian2K

Christ Pete, have a word with yourself! Does it never puzzle you that you always put the worst slant on things from a City POV, even when you are out of step with everyone else on Exeweb??

And you have deliberately misquoted exeter-loyal’s post to change its meaning; he/she said the decision was shocking, not the officials themselves.
Doubt if we hear from old Pate for a while.
He'll be too busy knitting himself a gr**n scarf ready for the 26th.

IndoMike

In terms of numbers that is pretty much true, it is though the timing of such "erroneous" decisions that is often critical. The lucky team gets a dodgy decision in it's favour late on in a tight game whereas the unlucky teams gets its dodgy decisions in a game that is already won or lost.
Yes, but even that should balance out.
It is true however that it is our misfortune that we've had Butcherman dumped on us so often just because he lives in the same county. You'd think that this fact would disqualify him from our matches. Doesn't he ever ref Argyle??

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but even that should balance out.
It is true however that it is our misfortune that we've had Butcherman dumped on us so often just because he lives in the same county. You'd think that this fact would disqualify him from our matches. Doesn't he ever ref Argyle??
He reffed four of their matches last season. They lost three of them.