• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crewe Alexandra v Exeter City Matchday Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

exeter-loyal

Looks pretty blatant.
Couldn't be anymore blatant. Shocking by the officials!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Here we go!

So you thought the decision by "the shocking officials" was okay, when the ball was driven in low on the right by a Crewe forward ? Under the new rules, although our defender totally had his back to that cross, his right arm was in a totally unnatural position i.e. sticking out by his side, when the ball clearly struck him. That was OK was it? It looked for all the world like a penalty to me, whereas the incident posted above is totally inconclusive, obviously with the possibility of cheating not being applied.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Maybe Brett had a word with the ref beforehand ! You know how these so called officials stick together like shiite to a blanket.

Red Monster

Lee Martin should have had a penalty it’s not inconclusive ,every time
I play it back from last nights Quest tv program Martin is pulled
back by the shoulder ,and the Crewe player then runs into
the back of him.
So yes that’s a penalty Pete every time .

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here we go!

So you thought the decision by "the shocking officials" was okay, when the ball was driven in low on the right by a Crewe forward ? Under the new rules, although our defender totally had his back to that cross, his right arm was in a totally unnatural position i.e. sticking out by his side, when the ball clearly struck him. That was OK was it? It looked for all the world like a penalty to me, whereas the incident posted above is totally inconclusive, obviously with the possibility of cheating not being applied.
That's not quite what the new rules say; though it is true that the new wording is tilted much more towards it being handball even if accidental, it does still include the provisos "usually" and "deliberately".

So the referee still has discretion to decide what is "unnatural" and what is "deliberate", especially at our level where there is no VAR. There are usually one or two such incidents in any L2 game.

Therefore although it is true true that there is a decent case that this should have been a penalty, if I was the ref I might or might not have given it depending on my view of the circumstances and whether it was reasonable to expect the defender to get his arm out of the way; so it's not as clear-cut as you make out.

IMO the foul on Martin was a clear penalty, i'd say 95 times out of 100 it'd have been given as a foul if it was outside the area.

The actual wording of Law 12:

Handling the ball
It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the
hand/arm towards the ball
• gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm
and then:
••scores in the opponents’ goal
••creates a goal-scoring opportunity
• scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if
accidental, including by the goalkeeper
It is usually an offence if a player:
• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
••the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
•• the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player
deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm
directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is
close.
Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches
a player’s hand/arm:
• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
• directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
• if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally
bigger
• when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to
support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

exeter-loyal

Here we go!

That post you just sent has got nothing to do with Lee Martin being pulled down by the Crewe player. He got it wrong admit it.

PeteUSA

That post you just sent has got nothing to do with Lee Martin being pulled down by the Crewe player. He got it wrong admit it.
I'm not admitting that anybody get anything wrong. This whole debate only came about because a piece of long range footage transpired showing our player go down like a sack of shiit with little or no contact. If that had been anywhere near a penalty Taylor would have been all over it - and you know it. Give it up, the officials were excellent.

grecIAN Harris

I'm not admitting that anybody get anything wrong. This whole debate only came about because a piece of long range footage transpired showing our player go down like a sack of shiit with little or no contact. If that had been anywhere near a penalty Taylor would have been all over it - and you know it. Give it up, the officials were excellent.
You're clearly after click bait again Pete. The defender was pulling Martins arm back before anything else. The trouble is referees are so weak and poor these days the only way to get a foul is if you go to ground.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It did look like Matt was upset by the lack of a decision. I also pointed out very politely to the assistant referee in front of us, why would our number 7 fall over when he was in such a good position.