• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crewe Alexandra v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
And an absolutely outstanding referee who doesnt even get a mention?

That could have changed though if the referee had given Crewe a penalty late in the second half. Their manager mentions it, and I have to say I waited with baited breath when "the incident" came and went. Based on this seasons farcical penalty rules, that should have been a pen for handball. No video evidence to review, you either saw it at the time at the game, or on iFollow.
There was a similar incident in the 1st half against a Crewe defender,there was no way that the ref could give a pen after waving away that one..Consistency which is something all managers(& fans) ask for,was served.

IndoMike

That could have changed though if the referee had given Crewe a penalty late in the second half. Their manager mentions it, and I have to say I waited with baited breath when "the incident" came and went. Based on this seasons farcical penalty rules, that should have been a pen for handball. No video evidence to review, you either saw it at the time at the game, or on iFollow.
That's the thing about refs, Pete. If they have a good game you don't notice them - as it should be. Because they don't get noticed they don't attract much praise.
But glad to hear we had a ref who didn't affect the score.

grecIAN Harris

Good referees are there to facilitate the game Pete not to be the star of the show. The less said about them, the better game they've had. Something Bumbling Brett could do with understanding.

grecIAN Harris

I've just watched Matt bemoaning the fact we haven't buried our chances, again, and saying there is little he can do in terms of the set up if the team. Yes there is Matt. Play a proper striker up front beside Bowman. If that means you have to play Ben Seymour because Nicky Ajose is out injured then so be it. The reasons opportunities aren't being put away is because you have winger playing the strikers role and he doesn't have the natural instincts of a striker inside the box and Bowman is doing to much work outside of the box and isn't getting into the correct position in it because of it. A bit of work on Bowman and a partner with the killer instincts and suddenly dropped points become three points.

C j phill

I've just watched Matt bemoaning the fact we haven't buried our chances, again, and saying there is little he can do in terms of the set up if the team. Yes there is Matt. Play a proper striker up front beside Bowman. If that means you have to play Ben Seymour because Nicky Ajose is out injured then so be it. The reasons opportunities aren't being put away is because you have winger playing the strikers role and he doesn't have the natural instincts of a striker inside the box and Bowman is doing to much work outside of the box and isn't getting into the correct position in it because of it. A bit of work on Bowman and a partner with the killer instincts and suddenly dropped points become three points.
Is the correct answer. Lee Martin up front isn't.

IndoMike

Is the correct answer. Lee Martin up front isn't.
Yes and no. As I said earlier on the thread, Bowman needs a mate up front, but then you have to take someone out of midfield, which could be a new problem.
I think we need 12 players

grecIAN Harris

Yes and no. As I said earlier on the thread, Bowman needs a mate up front, but then you have to take someone out of midfield, which could be a new problem.
I think we need 12 players
No you don't. Lee Martin is playing up front so you simply replace Lee Martin with Seymour.

IndoMike

No you don't. Lee Martin is playing up front so you simply replace Lee Martin with Seymour.
So he's playing striker.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also think that people are being unfair when they say that Matt has failed at signing strikers. I'm sure that he has tried very hard and this is the best that he could do. Good strikers command huge wages at this level and they are rarer than rocking horse dung. I'm sure that Nicky Maynard at Mansfield is on more than Ajose and look how well he's done this season.
Matt said at the start of the season that he considered bringing in another striker but that he was happy with Ben Seymour as the fourth striker in the squad.

Red Monster

No I don’t agree that Lee Martin is playing as a striker ,in certain
parts of games he has been push further Up to play along side
Bowman depending on the game situation ,but on the whole no.

We would all love for us to play two out and out strikers,
but taking a midfielder out might change how we control
games especially away from home and create the chances
we at the moment keep missing.