• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County v Exeter City Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Like Fake news Mike it's a case of interpretation
I agree that "unfortunate" can be ambiguous, but Matt certainly didn't say it was a penalty - not according to DL, anyway.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Like Fake news Mike it's a case of interpretation
Having watched the pen on different shows I reckon their player certainly made the most of a player on the floor , Making sure he was brought down / dived and a stronger ref may have booked him for simulation.
Never mind I console myself that the scumdog millionaire's Burgyle lost to Cheltenham.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: Newports penalty. It was a slum dunk spot kick.
Slum dunk !!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is that the Newport version ?

Pete you kill me. 😀😀😀😀

Keep it coming Old Boy.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Flynn whingeing about the ref.
I think this just shows what a difficult match it was to referee with so many full-blooded tackles flying in. However, the referee didn’t inspire much confidence that he knew what he was doing and getting the decisions right. Matt Taylor was too classy to mention individual incidents but if he had done he could have reeled a similar list of key decisions that wrongly went against us.

grecIAN Harris

You dont "win a penalty". If you're fouled by an opponent to the extent that you go down in the area, then its a penalty. Players dont set out to win anything. Todays refereeing talking point is missplaced. It was a near thing with the challenge you're talking about but contact was avoided by the defender. If the referee had given a spot kick for that there would be rioting in the streets FFS!

Youtube highlights for all the penalty doubters..
Pete, for a man of pensionable vintage you are very naive. Players trying to win free kicks/penalties happens every week in every game. The most obvious and blatent version was there in that incident, the trailing leg. Parkes was down and making no attempt to play the ball when the Newport player left a trailing leg in there to catch Parkes with and win the penalty. As I said it happens all the time, it is highlighted yet referees are too stupid and not streetwise enough in footballing terms to recognise it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Just watching the EFL Goals show and the commentator saying Parkes challenge warranted a penalty … How the hell can a player on the floor challenge for a ball when he has face almost on the pitch not seeing what's coming his way ?
Also its been said that our player was basically holding his head as he knew he had done wrong NO its because he was getting hit by the Newport players foot when he tried to jump over Parkes.

SNAP Harris just said the exact same thing when rewatching and slowing it down frame by frame.

IndoMike

I think this just shows what a difficult match it was to referee with so many full-blooded tackles flying in. However, the referee didn’t inspire much confidence that he knew what he was doing and getting the decisions right. Matt Taylor was too classy to mention individual incidents but if he had done he could have reeled a similar list of key decisions that wrongly went against us.
Typical manager making excuses for not winning. Matt is above that. Doesn't really matter : at the end of the season people look at the league table : Flynn's excuses will be gone with the wind.

IndoMike

Pete, for a man of pensionable vintage you are very naive. Players trying to win free kicks/penalties happens every week in every game. The most obvious and blatent version was there in that incident, the trailing leg. Parkes was down and making no attempt to play the ball when the Newport player left a trailing leg in there to catch Parkes with and win the penalty. As I said it happens all the time, it is highlighted yet referees are too stupid and not streetwise enough in footballing terms to recognise it.
Pete is incredibly objective : he always sees the point of view of our opponents. Always..

Stelios

Just watching the EFL Goals show and the commentator saying Parkes challenge warranted a penalty … How the hell can a player on the floor challenge for a ball when he has face almost on the pitch not seeing what's coming his way ?
Also its been said that our player was basically holding his head as he knew he had done wrong NO its because he was getting hit by the Newport players foot when he tried to jump over Parkes.

SNAP Harris just said the exact same thing when rewatching and slowing it down frame by frame.
Reminds me of the Grimsby pen last season when the Quest commentator said O'Shea "wrestled" the player to the ground. When all he'd actually done was just touch the guy's shoulder after getting the wrong side of him. You can see why it was given but there was no wrestling involved.

And come on Pete. Players 'win' penalties all the time. One of the biggest bug bears amongst fans is refs not being streetwise enough to spot a genuine foul and a striker creating contact with e.g. a trailing leg. Jamie Vardy is/was famous for it. He was booked once for it because it was so obvious. He ran into the box and jumped into the defender.

Think Bowman may have 'won' a soft pen earlier this season? Very early in a game.

Last edited:

exeter-loyal

Pete is incredibly objective : he always sees the point of view of our opponents. Always..
It's as if he has to try and find something negative to talk about evertime we play. Be positive ffs. We're unbeaton this season after 10 and top. Stop moaning and think ahead. Very promising.