• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Band Identity

Stelios

IMO the singer is the key to this argument. If a band loses it's singer then i feel they should disband. One of my favourite bands are Alice In Chains and they have replaced their singer Layne Staley who died many years ago now. They have released about 4 albums with a new vocalist and whilst they aren't bad, it's not the same and never can be. A drummer or another musician can be replaced in a band but the sound of the original singer cannot be replicated.
One of my favourites too (y) I always buy the new albums and enjoy them. Like you say, it's never going to be the same but I'm OK with that. Still excellent in my book and have seen them live a few times now.

It helped that when AC/DC did it they released an absolute belter of an album.

I saw a video of the last Fleetwood Mac tour without Lindsay Buckingham and it just doesn't sound right to me even though he was replaced by two excellent musicians in their own right.

Every band has their own stories. Deaths, feuds, fall-outs, divorces to pay for (eh, Mick Fleetwood?). Seems harsh on those left behind to have to stop too. We can all choose whether to listen or not. It's their band and songs and their choice whether they wish to continue.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
One of my favourites too (y) I always buy the new albums and enjoy them. Like you say, it's never going to be the same but I'm OK with that. Still excellent in my book and have seen them live a few times now.

It helped that when AC/DC did it they released an absolute belter of an album.

I saw a video of the last Fleetwood Mac tour without Lindsay Buckingham and it just doesn't sound right to me even though he was replaced by two excellent musicians in their own right.

Every band has their own stories. Deaths, feuds, fall-outs, divorces to pay for (eh, Mick Fleetwood?). Seems harsh on those left behind to have to stop too. We can all choose whether to listen or not. It's their band and songs and their choice whether they wish to continue.
Fleetwood Mac ceased to be a proper band when Peter Green left.

geoffwp

Fleetwood Mac ceased to be a proper band when Peter Green left.
Nah. Green wanted to go one way and Mick Fleetwood another. I actually liked what the westcoast american contingent brought to the feast. On that note John Mayall has changed his band around more times than ive changed my jeans. Doesnt seem to have done either any harm.
I did happen to catch the Quo set on Saturday and thought it sounded pretty damn good. Glad they didnt fold.

Stelios

Peter Green wrote some wonderful songs but always loved the Buckingham/Nicks era a lot more. Buckingham is a genius in his own right sadly looked down upon by some. Proper virtuoso guitar player and a great song writer. Good singer too. His solo albums are great and never dull. How can you not love a bit of this?

Although I can never remember how to spell his first name correctly :LOL:

iscalad

Nah. Green wanted to go one way and Mick Fleetwood another. I actually liked what the westcoast american contingent brought to the feast. On that note John Mayall has changed his band around more times than ive changed my jeans. Doesnt seem to have done either any harm.
I did happen to catch the Quo set on Saturday and thought it sounded pretty damn good. Glad they didnt fold.
To be fair Rossi was always the main singer. I don't disagree about Fleetwood Mac, but they went from a blues band to a mid Atlantic easy listening band

Rosencrantz

Lucky that the Buckingham/Nick's era Fleetwood Mac lasted so long considering all the marital goings on although it produced the music that sold by the ton on Rumours. Must have been fun getting your ex to play songs about their own inadequacies.

Bit strange for me to see Neil Finn as part of the band though. Loved Crowded House through all their line ups (adding brother Tim Finn and then replacing him with Mark Hart). Paul Hester was and is a big miss though.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fleetwood Mac - yes, while they changed direction completely I happen to be a fan of both the Peter Green version and the Buckingham/Nicks version of the band.

iscalad

BBC 4 at 8pm tonight for Fleetwood Mac fans.

STURTZ

Agree totally with Isca, Fleetwood Mac should have hung up their cowboy hats when Peter Green lost it. Middle of the road pop band and as for all that mumbling drivel from Nicks, easy listening? I don't think so, more like easy turning off the radio.

geoffwp

Stevie Nicks mumbling drivel?? :eek:😲🤬. Inflammatory statement there sturtz.