• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Port Vale 17/9/19 Match Day Thread

End Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to have a reputation for it as well because it'll get into the heads of the opposition.
I think that happened last night. It almost seemed like they expected to concede a late goal.

TSW1389

Parkes for me showed why MT brought him in. He dominated the centre of the defence early on and made he made the "first contact" at every opportunity. Aaron Martin is a luxury centre back at this level when it comes to the classic hard nose defending Taylor wants to put on show.
If we play with the 3CBs its going to have to be Sweeney Parkes Moxey just for the extra distribution skills needed. Sweeney still cant hit a simple 5 yard ball consistently but then can whip in a beautiful cross or ball so frustrating to watch.
Cant see Martin coming in for a couple of games at least (probably start Saturday now Ive said this). I'm rate Martin but think Parkes is just that bit more physical which is needed sometimes.

Seymor looked a great addition to the squad in last 2 games, lively, great work rate and willing to run behind. Can maybe for a real classic big man little man duo with Bowman.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
What can I say that hasn't already been said.

Firstly Pete change the medication, everything you are spouting at the moment is negative. We are top of the League FFS, it's the fourth tier of the English league so there are going to be mistakes made let's not dwell on them try and pick out the highlights from your screen.

I enjoyed the match. I think Port Vale deserve a lot of credit for making it open and interesting, and whereas in the first half you thought it would be a walkover they upped their game in the second and took the game to us. Positive substitutions by their manager and no game management tactics - may have changed if they 'nicked' a goal as old misery guts predicted but they didn't. Also I thought their centre half who was marking Bowman did a remarkable job bearing in mind he didn't have the stature of a centre half. So well done Port Vale and thank you for competing.

As has been mentioned the ref was excellent as were his Linos. I had a couple people near me giving them some lip but I don't think they understand the rules of football and offside in particular.

You can see why Tom Parkes is preferred over Aaron Martin, what a brick outhouse he is, I reckon their centre forward knows he was in a match this morning. Good old fashioned centre half, if in doubt belt it out.

Swwenz has upped his game as well whether it is becuse Richardson has arrived or what I don't know but he is playing much more assured, and who knew he had that long a throw, now with Deano Randell and Jack Sparkes our attacking throw ins can be as effective as corners (if only our corners were effective).

Jake Taylor as has been mentioned also had a good game disrupting and creating chances and would have been my MOM, whereas Law I thought looked lost in a crowded midfield.

The substitutions were inspired, and doing a Tisdale of changing the formation to see out the last five minutes when he bought on Martin fitted seemlessly. Perhaps Lee Martin needs to be dropped every now and again as he came on with a hunger which wasn't showing on Saturday. And just as your legs are tiring as a defender the opposition bring on a tricky winger. Randell was full of running, and one day he will perfect that shot to go a bit lower and the other side of the post so that he scores a worldie (or two or three).

A final mention for the acadamy boys with Seymour making his full debut, full of running and looking for spaces given time could form a useful partnership with Bowman, Sparkes quiet in the first half but livened things up in the second and a good solid performance from Archie. Richardson though not our academy put in a good shift in the first half and was causing them problems but did tend to drift in the second.

For those that are questioning our victories and who we have beaten, consider Swindon last night, or Bradford, or Mansfield. We are currently the stand out team in the division and long may it continue.

Donny got beat last night so then there were five. On to Newport

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
With reference to fans not knowing offside rules, you don't by any chance sit in stand F?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree that Parkes had a very good game defensively but thought his distribution wasn't as good as Martin's and against a team that presses higher could have been a problem.

Grecian Max

Quite how that game could be described as crap is completely beyond me. I thought it was a belter. Well done city for just keeping going at pace and always looking to score. We could and maybe should have run out 5 nil winners but hey ho, persistence is a great asset. What a way to end a beautiful blue sky late summer day. I love this team.
Careful what you wish for though?

geoffwp

Seymor looked a great addition to the squad in last 2 games, lively, great work rate and willing to run behind. Can maybe for a real classic big man little man duo with Bowman.
He did and maybe they will form that partnership. Then there is also Ajose, and Matty Jay. I think its going to be interesting and hopefully exciting to watch how the attack partnerships do develop this season. Who will end up forming the most effective ones. What is good are the range of options the manager is building.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
  • So well done Port Vale and thank you for competing.
  • Perhaps Lee Martin needs to be dropped every now and again as he came on with a hunger which wasn't showing on Saturday.
Just a couple of things here, "Thank you for competing." We're Exeter City, not Barcelona. This seems a little patronising...

Secondly I'd imagine Lee Martin was rested rather than dropped, 3 games in a week is a lot so squad rotation is needed, I'd fully expect him to start on Saturday if fit.

I thought the game was decent enough, we controlled it from start to finish and were well worth the 2-0 win. The wing backs were excellent and Parkes was an absolute monster at the back. No complaints, top of the league and STILL unbeaten and I still feel like there are more gears for us to find.

On a side note I thought the atmosphere was dreadful at times, I could clearly hear the players communicating which is usually a sign and especially in the first half most of the Big Bank seemed to be talking among themselves.

On to Saturday...

Grecian Max

The 5-3-2 set up really suits us. Sweeney and Moxey are clearly at their best in a 3
Spot on.

I thought last night was yet another game where we were solidly the best team through out, it was inevitable we'd eventually break through and win. There aren't many weaknesses in this squad, it feels very, very balanced.

Think Taylor is starting to show he's more than a man manager, and is tactically astute too.

Grecian Max

On a side note I thought the atmosphere was dreadful at times, I could clearly hear the players communicating which is usually a sign and especially in the first half most of the Big Bank seemed to be talking among themselves.
Drum was missing first half, second half found and improved it.