• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It is in October unless it gets approved in the HOC (which it won't). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, it could still go through in Jan.
The law passed the other week only requires Boris to go to the EU and ask for an extension to January. If (and I accept it's a massive if) the EU tells Boris to FRO, No Deal remains the default position.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
The law passed the other week only requires Boris to go to the EU and ask for an extension to January. If (and I accept it's a massive if) the EU tells Boris to FRO, No Deal remains the default position.
An interesting thing I've heard from someone in the know is that Benn's motion & law that got passed the other week would, under normal circumstances, take months to construct, be picked apart, constructed again before being set in stone. Given it was cobbled together in a matter of hours before being rushed through, it's more than likely to be riddled with gaps and loopholes. Get a team of crack lawyers on it and it can easily be rendered meaningless, or so I was told. Wondering if that's the ace up the sleeve? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Some have argued that technically Boris could hand the letter over, then cry "VETO" - but I believe this isn't actually true.

DB9

So if the extension is agreed for three months and still no agreement on the WA, We leave with no deal? Or will the HOC do this all over again and say we have to get another extension?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
So if the extension is agreed for three months and still no agreement on the WA, We leave with no deal? Or will the HOC do this all over again and say we have to get another extension?
By then we might have had an election which could alter the dynamic one way or the other.

Apparently there has been a lot of anger in the wobbly "People's Vote" coalition about the Lib Dems' new position this week - as well as quite a bit from within the Lib Dem ranks themselves.

DB9

By then we might have had an election which could alter the dynamic one way or the other.

Apparently there has been a lot of anger in the wobbly "People's Vote" coalition about the Lib Dems' new position this week - as well as quite a bit from within the Lib Dem ranks themselves.
Did think that after posting. As for the Lib Dems, To say you'll revoke article 50 unilaterally is not very liberal or democratic. 2nd ref is a choice with remain in it should of been the policy but to ignore 17.4m voters and say sod you is awful, Not a good week or conference for Ms Swinson

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Did think that after posting. As for the Lib Dems, To say you'll revoke article 50 unilaterally is not very liberal or democratic. 2nd ref is a choice with remain in it should of been the policy but to ignore 17.4m voters and say sod you is awful, Not a good week or conference for Ms Swinson
You're right on all counts, although as I've maintained all along were a party to campaign in an election on a manifesto pledge to either cancel Brexit or, had it happened, to apply to rejoin, and they won said election on this basis, then fair enough.

elginCity

With that logic in mind, and however unlikely, should the LDs win an overall majority with Revoke in the manifesto, that would also be democratic.

More likely to be a junior partner with Labour in coalition that would happily go along with the renegotiate and 2Ref policy.

tavyred

Farage suggesting that a deal on the backstop is very close and not surprisingly he’s claiming that its a betrayal for those that wanted a ‘clean Brexit’. Looks like as well as variants of remain being on offer at the next GE, there’s going to be BJ’s version of Brexit up against Big Nige’s.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, even on my side of the argument I think the position is a mistake. I believe it makes remain less likely, just as Farage/Rees-Mogg's hard-on for no deal makes leaving less likely.