• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone tried a Galleon like the Mary Rose, Victory or ship in general? The old ones look very complicated, especially if they have masts or rigging to do
I've done Cutty Sark. Looked fantastic when finished but it collected dust on the rigging soon after and was next to impossible to keep clean so I'm not doing any more plastic boat kits.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've done Cutty Sark. Looked fantastic when finished but it collected dust on the rigging soon after and was next to impossible to keep clean so I'm not doing any more plastic boat kits.
I never thought of that but yep that is a pain, Guess if you want to build a ship go for a warship from WW1 to the present day, No rigging or masts on those

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
AS Lez has posted, Bulldog Fairs do four a year at Westpoint on Sundays, the next one is on 3rd Nov. I was at Newton Abbot Racecourse where Ray Heard Toy Fairs organise 5 0r 6 a year, again on Sundays, the next one being Dec 1st. He also organises 3 a year at the Matford Centre but these are on Saturdays and can clash with Footie, although they do tend wind down by around 2pm.

A good resource for information on-line is the UK Model Shops Directory which carries two Events Diary Listings, one covering Toy Fairs and Swapmeets, the other Model Railway Exhibitions.
What models have you done?

Colesman Ballz

Haven't built much in years, the last time was about 20 years ago an F15 with my son, and around the same time an Airfix DHC1 Chipmunk for myself ( a bit of nostalgia from my days of flying in them as an Air Cadet). Was a pretty prolific builder back in my teens, mainly aircraft but ships, trains, armoured vehicles, buildings, all sorts really. Have bought the odd kit to "stockpile" for possible future construction, a foreign re-issue of an old Frog DH Vampire springs to mind.

I do occasionally look out for an unbuilt DH89A Dragon Rapide kit, I do still have an already made up one which I acquired, from way back when (Frog ?? 1/72nd scale).

Colesman Ballz

Haven't built much in years, the last time was about 20 years ago an F15 with my son, and around the same time an Airfix DHC1 Chipmunk for myself ( a bit of nostalgia from my days of flying in them as an Air Cadet). Was a pretty prolific builder back in my teens, mainly aircraft but ships, trains, armoured vehicles, buildings, all sorts really. Have bought the odd kit to "stockpile" for possible future construction, a foreign re-issue of an old Frog DH Vampire springs to mind.

I do occasionally look out for an unbuilt DH89A Dragon Rapide kit, I do still have an already made up one which I acquired, from way back when (Frog ?? 1/72nd scale).

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

Like this CB ?? There is also a rigging kit there on Ebay

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member

You thought about getting back into them @Colesman Ballz ??

Colesman Ballz

Like this CB ?? There is also a rigging kit there on Ebay
Cheers Ramone, that's got my taste buds salivating ! Seems that the Tasman kit, is a reboxed Heller Kit with transfers applicable for RNAF, RAAF squadrons etc ! I have the feeling that the Heller Kit uses the old Frog mouldings anyway. So many moulds ended up getting sold on to new manufacturers, often with inferior quality plastic. loss of definition in the detail etc, it can be a minefield at times. The rigging kit definitely intrigues me. It was always a problem modelling biplanes, and I made a few very amateurish attempts as a teenager. But as hard as I tried, they never turned out right because I just couldn't get the tension to look right !

Colesman Ballz

You thought about getting back into them @Colesman Ballz ??
Always dreamt of finishing up with a house with a hobby room in the loft, for model railway, kit building etc. Trouble is that I fell in love with an Elizabethan House, with no loft, just a timber vaulted ceiling, so I'm stymied unless I move.

Additionally it is a classic "Roundtuit" which I never seem to find the time for. As I say, I buy the occasional kit that takes my fancy, I have even got a few stored away from my teenage days, when I found the odd kit that had ceased production and duly stockpiled them, whether the day will come, when I make that "giant leap" and go back into production, I haven't a clue' but I certainly haven't ruled it out.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Always dreamt of finishing up with a house with a hobby room in the loft, for model railway, kit building etc. Trouble is that I fell in love with an Elizabethan House, with no loft, just a timber vaulted ceiling, so I'm stymied unless I move.

Additionally it is a classic "Roundtuit" which I never seem to find the time for. As I say, I buy the occasional kit that takes my fancy, I have even got a few stored away from my teenage days, when I found the odd kit that had ceased production and duly stockpiled them, whether the day will come, when I make that "giant leap" and go back into production, I haven't a clue' but I certainly haven't ruled it out.
I purchased a Humbrol workstation not that long ago which I put on my workbench but can move it to the front room to build and paint on.. its a fantastic piece of kit and recommended by me.. I use it around the house especially whilst Peaky Blinders is on.. I found a small box I put on top of it to protect my latest build when I stop working on the model..