• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yet more Graun echo chamber guff. I mean who tf doesn't like to be liked? He'd be more unhinged if he didn't.
Yep, The press on both sides are just knobs, You have scaremongering doom and gloom on left leaning papers and you have headlines calling people traitors or enemies of the people on the right leaning papers. They're nearly as bad as our Parliamentarians

DB9

She didn't care that much about not being liked. Subtle difference.
Hated the woman but you knew where you stood with her

elginCity

Good article about Johnson and his situation here. Leavers may not like it, but I can't see any factual inaccuracies
As a remainer, I didn't like it, sorry art ! I usually agree with Rafael Behr's take on things, have quoted his stuff myself, but not this time.

I found it an Ad hominem piece, he played the man rather than the ball throughout, and it really doesn't help the cause. The accusation of cowardice should have been substantiated, just as he followed up the accusation that Johnson 'likes to be liked' and the hypocrisy with some reasoning. His observation that Johnson is 'too weak-willed to play the typical nationalist strongman' is also flawed. The reluctance is more likely due to a lack of conviction, Johnson is no nationalist, at heart, methinks. :)

arthur

As a remainer, I didn't like it, sorry art ! I usually agree with Rafael Behr's take on things, have quoted his stuff myself, but not this time.

I found it an Ad hominem piece, he played the man rather than the ball throughout, and it really doesn't help the cause. The accusation of cowardice should have been substantiated, just as he followed up the accusation that Johnson 'likes to be liked' and the hypocrisy with some reasoning. His observation that Johnson is 'too weak-willed to play the typical nationalist strongman' is also flawed. The reluctance is more likely due to a lack of conviction, Johnson is no nationalist, at heart, methinks. :)
Sorry about that Elgin! I think there is so much evidence for much of the assertions Behr made that it was unnecesary to rehash them. With regard to the "liking to be liked" Max Hastings (one of his former employers) made the observation that he'd never seen Johnson tell an audience something they didn't want to hear. His shock at the abuse he received from passing commuters on the morning of June 24th 2016 clearly unnerved him...

But the main point is, how will Johnson's manifest flaws and weaknesses affect the eventual outcome? His trying to be one thing - Trumpesque nationalist strongman - leads the country and his party in one direction, while his failure to be one (either through choice, cowardice or incompetence - it doesn't really matter which) makes everything extremely fluid and no-one knows what's going to happen next...

Personally I think the following, which should be a) fun b) interesting and c) not too bad an outcome
May's deal with NI only backstop plus some commitment to environmental standards and workers rights and subject to a confirmatory referendum = a majority in Parliament, the salvaging of Johnson's career and two fingers to the ERG and DUP.

How likely?

Mr Jinx

His shock at the abuse he received from passing commuters on the morning of June 24th 2016 clearly unnerved him...
How do you know he was shocked? And was he even unnerved? Humble yes (unlike Farage), but he didn't appear unnerved to me. You're making things up now.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Well he certainly has seemed un-nerved (wimble-wumble-woffle-toffle) in most of his recent (non)-appearances (ummm-errr-bluster-fluster) not only at the dispatch box but even when backed with (what he - or Dominic - assumed to be) his "private police force".
Although the majority of his supine and supportive MSM did their best to spin his recent bs-fuelled waffles as an unwanted by-product of his discombobulation after the hasty (and principled) departure of Bro-Jo.

Lets face it, the blundering boorish buffoon is being proven, as each day passes, to be even more out of his depth than a toddler in a paddling pool!

arthur

How do you know he was shocked? And was he even unnerved? Humble yes (unlike Farage), but he didn't appear unnerved to me. You're making things up now.
Farage would have revelled in this, Johnson didn't. He doesn't do humble - the look on his face was one of bewilderment https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/boris-johnson-heckled-as-he-leaves-home/

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I missed that. Those dreadful EU bullies. How dare they give 400 milion quid to Cornwall's development every year. Cruel barstewards!
£400m of our money given to those indolent sods west of the Tamar? Where do Brussels get the money?

Apologies about the paywall but you should get the gist of it Mike.

DB9

£400m of our money given to those indolent sods west of the Tamar? Where do Brussels get the money?

Apologies about the paywall but you should get the gist of it Mike.
£2 ain't bad for our contribution

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
£2 ain't bad for our contribution
:DNot my typo DB