• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A good footballing side to watch

AntBBC

Evening all,

Anthony from BBC Radio Devon here, as the title reads Exeter City are by far the best footballing side I have seen this season. Being a freelance reporter I get to see other teams whilst working for different radio stations as well as watching my own team (name not supplied).

At Oldham they were unlucky to only come away with a point. Oldham provided them with their toughest test that I have seen this season. Morecambe will struggle due to their lack of funds but always seem to to find some team spirit which always carries them through to safety. Carlisle on Saturday may well have been poor but Exeter were excellent! To a man they all played superbly. Their team ethic and spirit is also evident. The blend of youth and experience is a great combination.

Nicky Law is too good for League 2 (although I hope he doesn't leave anytime soon), Bowman is a work horse, Moxey, Williams, Sparks, Taylor all excellent with fantastic attitudes, I could go on.................

Matt Taylor deserves a lot of credit for the way he is moulding this squad and the way he has them playing. On a personal note I have built up a rapport with Matt. He is a pleasure to interview and great to speak to when off mic also.

I hope you all enjoy the commentary for those that tune in. As stated earlier Exeter are not my team but when you work this close with a club its hard not to have an affinity with them. That's certainly true in this case.

Keep up the excellent support.

Nice one
Ant

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
great to speak to when off mic also.
Better than Ron Atkinson I hope.

So who is your team then?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice words Ant. I do like your commentary and you often seem to commentate on a lot of our away victories unless my memory is cheating.

As for our current team, I agree we have a strong squad and I am confident of being top 3 this season. Taylor seems to have found his strongest team which has plenty of balance and some real talent, particularly in the midfield. Law, Martin and Williams will be crucial plus we are solid in all other areas. I think he’s managed to strengthen the depth of the squad which we lacked last season and that could be crucial. We still have Atangana and Holmes to come in too, so we look strong.

That said, its early days and it will be interesting to see how we cope after a loss or two. Overall there’s not much to be feared in L2 so we should just go for it and see where it takes us.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Better than Ron Atkinson I hope.

So who is your team then?
Let's see if we can find out...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's see if we can find out...
My money is on Preston.

Evening all,

Anthony from BBC Radio Devon here, as the title reads Exeter City are by far the best footballing side I have seen this season. Being a freelance reporter I get to see other teams whilst working for different radio stations as well as watching my own team (name not supplied).

At Oldham they were unlucky to only come away with a point. Oldham provided them with their toughest test that I have seen this season. Morecambe will struggle due to their lack of funds but always seem to to find some team spirit which always carries them through to safety. Carlisle on Saturday may well have been poor but Exeter were excellent! To a man they all played superbly. Their team ethic and spirit is also evident. The blend of youth and experience is a great combination.

Nicky Law is too good for League 2 (although I hope he doesn't leave anytime soon), Bowman is a work horse, Moxey, Williams, Sparks, Taylor all excellent with fantastic attitudes, I could go on.................

Matt Taylor deserves a lot of credit for the way he is moulding this squad and the way he has them playing. On a personal note I have built up a rapport with Matt. He is a pleasure to interview and great to speak to when off mic also.

I hope you all enjoy the commentary for those that tune in. As stated earlier Exeter are not my team but when you work this close with a club its hard not to have an affinity with them. That's certainly true in this case.

Nice one
Ant
Fantastic article! My first post of the season! I love reading we've become a proper 'Footballing' team again which we last were respected for in the Watkins/Wheeler era. The key, I feel, is what Nicky Law said after Carlisle that there are no Superstars (or individuals) in the team we set up a system for unlike last season. I got hacked off on here last season when people were banging on about Stockley and his lack of service when all I saw when I turned up week in week out just to see the defence bang another diagonal ball forward over the midfield's heads just to see Shockley fall over (yes....he did bang in a few goals tho' but no-one else did! We were one dimensional). For me,, he doesn't lace Bowman's boots for workrate and 'don't give up attitude.

Simple things...width, pace and a creative midfield really leave me looking forward to the Orient game this Saturday with anticipation of some proper expansive Football. It's a far cry from last December!

Well done, Matt!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know it's very early days and I don't want to tempt fate, but assuming we need 80pts for the autos and assuming we beat Orient on Saturday then another 60 points should do it. 60 points ÷ 38 games = 1.57 points per game. So if we W3 D1 L2 every 6 games that should be enough.
I'm just being optimistic!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Evening all,

Nice one
Ant
Thank you for taking the time for posting this. I always really enjoy your commentary and it's great to be able to listen to someone who is so engaged with and knowledgeable about the club. Just wondering if you have seen either Swindon or Crewe yet this season as they are the two teams being hyped up for the quality and attractiveness of their football and would love to know how you think they compare to Exeter.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fantastic article! My first post of the season! I love reading we've become a proper 'Footballing' team again which we last were respected for in the Watkins/Wheeler era. The key, I feel, is what Nicky Law said after Carlisle that there are no Superstars (or individuals) in the team we set up a system for unlike last season. I got hacked off on here last season when people were banging on about Stockley and his lack of service when all I saw when I turned up week in week out just to see the defence bang another diagonal ball forward over the midfield's heads just to see Shockley fall over (yes....he did bang in a few goals tho' but no-one else did! We were one dimensional). For me,, he doesn't lace Bowman's boots for workrate and 'don't give up attitude.

Simple things...width, pace and a creative midfield really leave me looking forward to the Orient game this Saturday with anticipation of some proper expansive Football. It's a far cry from last December!

Well done, Matt!
Ah yes, last December when the passing and movement in the build-up to Jayden's goals at Oldham were as good as anything we saw last Saturday. And when the width, pace and creative midfield created chance after chance against Grimsby that only an unbelievable goalkeeping performance kept out. We definitely had a barren spell after Hiram got injured and we struggled to work out how best to play but by the end of December were playing some pretty decent football again.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
More sycophancy from me re: the commentaries of our Northern games - always a pleasure to listen, and thanks for the kind words.