• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

exeter-loyal

Another bulk of compensation ready to be on hold and not given to us straight away!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'm given to believe that Chrisene played for Chelsea U16s this morning. They beat Aston Villa 10-2. No more information that that.

Corey

I was in the Heritage Lounge today and after the game Matt hinted that Chrisene would be playing midweek in the trophy.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
According to the Sun, Chelsea is hoping they can sign Chrisene due to their relationship with Exeter City. I assume this is a Lord and Master to servant relationship.

Stelios

According to the Sun, Chelsea is hoping they can sign Chrisene due to their relationship with Exeter City. I assume this is a Lord and Master to servant relationship.
Reminds me of the USA-UK "Special Relationship"................

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe when a Premiership club tries to pinch a young lower division player it should be described as a "Chrisening".

IndoMike

Reminds me of the USA-UK "Special Relationship"................
Very true.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are several things we know and are told about football and sport in general
  1. It is a short career and not all players make it into management
  2. Most professional sports people want to achieve at the highest of their ability during their career
  3. Top players are currently well rewarded
  4. Footballers want to play competitive matches whenever possible
  5. Not all Academy players make it.
So when you are a 15/16 year old footballer you need to bear these things in mind when you are asked to commit to a professional football club. Whilst it may boost the ego to have premiershite clubs fawning over you for your signature offering riches beyond your imagination (and Exeter City's pockets). Is signing for one of them going to meet the end goal and give you a career for the next 20 years or is it going to fall at the first hurdle and you find yourself released after two years or farmed out for more experience, as the club you signed for waste millions on experienced players with reputations. Worse still you just remain in the U23 squad until such time as you become a free agent playing in less competitive matches. At the same time you see Manager changes as the clubs themselves are desperate for success and the axe falls, with each new manager comes new players ahead of you in the squads. As happened to Sean Goss who was going to be the next Michael Carrick at Man U. and is now plying his trade on less money at Shrewsbury, or Mark Ellis who signed for the n premiershite Bolton but never played for them and after a succession of moves is currently plying his trade at Tranmere Rovers.

We can also look at Ethan Ampadu a little bit in this context as although he has made it to the bench and he is a full international for Wales he is not playing in the Chelsea first team squad and has been shipped out to Germany to gain more experience and yet he is still not holding down a regular first team spot in Germany.

There are of course success stories like Alexander Arnold at Liverpool for one so the riches may be worth the short term punt

On the other hand if you are prepared to bide your time, then the rewards could be more fulfilling. If like some you stick with the club that nurtured you from a young age, coached and encouraged you, had a successful structure in place to get the best out of their academy scholars for both club and individuals, give first team experience when the individual is ready and prepared to move up the pyramid club at a time then the final rewards could be greater than the initial pot of gold offered by the big clubs. Looking at George Friend who came through the same era as Mark Ellis he has established himself as a quality Full back with premiership experience on a good championship wage and then there is Matt Grimes who was the same era as Sean Goss now playing regularly for Swansea, their captain and hopefully on the verge of the premiership through the Swans getting promoted. Or there is Ollie Watkins again established in the Championship with Brentford and being followed by several premiership scouts pending a multi million pound move of which his signing on fee will be huge as will his weekly wage (if we are to believe all the stories on premiership wages). Even in the current squad we can look at the likes of Archie Collins and Jack Sparkes who are regular first teamers getting rave reviews having spent their time doing the loan circuit, in a couple of years they should have advanced further up the pyramid.

So it is a difficult choice for a 15/16 year old on which path to take to make the most of your short lived career as you are always one kick away from a career ending injury - the pot of gold, and entering into the unknown being a small fish in a big sea or the known with stability, where you would be a medium fish in a small sea with lesser reward at the outset but potential for more!

Banksy

I know which course of action makes us the most money g-n-h. We’ll be waiting a long time for another Ampadu instalment , but what we will probably get from Ollie’s next move will make everyones’ mouths water.I tend now to follow Ollie’s thread with renewed interest as I hear a ching ching for City with each goal he scores , Ethan’s I’ve lost all interest in.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know which course of action makes us the most money g-n-h. We’ll be waiting a long time for another Ampadu instalment , but what we will probably get from Ollie’s next move will make everyones’ mouths water.I tend now to follow Ollie’s thread with renewed interest as I hear a ching ching for City with each goal he scores , Ethan’s I’ve lost all interest in.
Yes, it's beginning to look like Ampadu may fade from the radar. Hasn't made it onto the pitch for RB Leipzig, subbed for Wales. A great pity ...

And Sean Goss is languishing mid-table in L1 with Shrewsbury. Could well end up playing for them at SJP next season.