• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How good are Exeter?

Exehausted

The difference being that Martin, despite not having a great start to his City career, always tried his hardest and effort clearly wasn't a problem. Ajose just looks disinterested and has a poor work rate. If he's not match fit then he should run his nuts off until he's out of steam and then he can be subbed, even if that means coming off at half time!!
I assume that Nicky Ajose has a two year deal, (I don't know if we were ever told or have I missed it?) so we have to try and get the best out of him. He is clearly short on confidence, it affects all strikers when they aren't scoring, (the notable exception being Ryan Bowman, who despite his long dry spell, never hid and got his just rewards at the end of the season) and this is where Matt and our coaching staff have a big role to play. His record says that he is more than good enough at this level so they have to work hard on a plan to get him scoring. That could be an arm around his shoulder and show him that he has the full support and confidence of everyone and work with him to get the best out of him. That might be getting him to make runs all over the place to pull defenders out of position and tire them out and then replace him after 60 minutes. He obviously hasn't the physical attributes to hassle and frighten 6ft plus, tough defenders, like Ryan does, but he can still unsettle them. If he really bought into a plan like that where he didn't feel under too much pressure to score he might relax a bit and the goals will hopefully come.

CityTillIDie

We are a solid league 2 side who battle for promotion on most occasions!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I assume that Nicky Ajose has a two year deal, (I don't know if we were ever told or have I missed it?) so we have to try and get the best out of him. He is clearly short on confidence, it affects all strikers when they aren't scoring, (the notable exception being Ryan Bowman, who despite his long dry spell, never hid and got his just rewards at the end of the season) and this is where Matt and our coaching staff have a big role to play. His record says that he is more than good enough at this level so they have to work hard on a plan to get him scoring. That could be an arm around his shoulder and show him that he has the full support and confidence of everyone and work with him to get the best out of him. That might be getting him to make runs all over the place to pull defenders out of position and tire them out and then replace him after 60 minutes. He obviously hasn't the physical attributes to hassle and frighten 6ft plus, tough defenders, like Ryan does, but he can still unsettle them. If he really bought into a plan like that where he didn't feel under too much pressure to score he might relax a bit and the goals will hopefully come.
The answer is much simpler than all that. Give him some bloody service as he hasn't had any yet. The confidence he is short in is having confidence that the service is coming in the first place. It's any wonder he's looking p!$$ed off and disinterested.

Exehausted

The answer is much simpler than all that. Give him some bloody service as he hasn't had any yet. The confidence he is short in is having confidence that the service is coming in the first place. It's any wonder he's looking p!$$ed off and disinterested.
Sorry, but when things aren't going for you then you have a responsibility to at least try and make it happen. Matt Jay did more in 20 minutes when he came on against Swindon, including scoring and having a shot blocked on the line by Deanno, than Nicky did all game. Just jogging about expecting it to fall at your feet isn't enough. Some players do it naturally, some need more direction. I think Nicky needs that direction. If you change nothing, nothing will change.

grecIAN Harris

Sorry, but when things aren't going for you then you have a responsibility to at least try and make it happen. Matt Jay did more in 20 minutes when he came on against Swindon, including scoring and having a shot blocked on the line by Deanno, than Nicky did all game. Just jogging about expecting it to fall at your feet isn't enough. Some players do it naturally, some need more direction. I think Nicky needs that direction. If you change nothing, nothing will change.
Ajose does his work in the box. That where he will come alive. As I've said elsewhere, call me old fashioned but give me a striker who does nothing but score twenty goals than one who is constantly working, putting a shift in but then only scores four or five. At that rate you might as well play in midfield and work hard in an area of the pitch where working hard is a must. There is little point chasing your tail all day then when the opportunity to do your job properly comes along you're to knackered to finish it off.

Exehausted

I know exactly what you're saying, but in this day and age you have to have more than one string to your bow. I watched the Oldham game on ifollow and when Nicky came on with 15 left, against an Oldham defence that was clearly tiring after we had pulled them all over the place, I really thought it would be his time. He did nothing. When the "goal" came right at the end and it was so close to not being offside, it was Jake and Ryan who had gambled and were in there, Nicky wasn't even close, which a "fox in the box" should have been. That's why I think it is up to Matt and his team to come up with a plan to get the best out of him. I really believe he can come good, but only if there are changes to his game. Others have clearly already given up on him, I just hope, with support from the backroom staff and encouragement from the fans he will come good.

grecIAN Harris

I know exactly what you're saying, but in this day and age you have to have more than one string to your bow. I watched the Oldham game on ifollow and when Nicky came on with 15 left, against an Oldham defence that was clearly tiring after we had pulled them all over the place, I really thought it would be his time. He did nothing. When the "goal" came right at the end and it was so close to not being offside, it was Jake and Ryan who had gambled and were in there, Nicky wasn't even close, which a "fox in the box" should have been. That's why I think it is up to Matt and his team to come up with a plan to get the best out of him. I really believe he can come good, but only if there are changes to his game. Others have clearly already given up on him, I just hope, with support from the backroom staff and encouragement from the fans he will come good.
You need to watch that goal back and see why he was nowhere near the ball. You might just find it was because Ajose was busy doing what you want from him...... making it happen by putting the cross in for Bowman. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The fact that we have starting creating more chances since Ajose has been left out suggests that it is not the lack of service but Ajose himself that is the problem. Still plenty of time for him to come good, though.

TSW1389

Nicky Law should be back next Saturday. He slept funny and cricked his neck Friday night - well, that's the excuse he's giving :cool:
I thought you were joking but now seeing MT interview it's true! Sounds like a Sunday league too hungover excuse 😂

Stelios

The most enjoyable game last season for me was losing 1-2 at home to Grimsby. Completely bonkers game (30 shots at goal against a side down to 10 men for 40 minutes). You wouldn't want it to happen every week but great entertainment.

Nervy 1-0 wins or games when we can't get out of 3rd gear are hard work and the crowd can get restless and tense. I'm afraid it's all part of supporting ECFC. We've had good starts in the past that have fizzled out when the clocks go back so this may be as good as it gets(!) I would like to see us give teams a good going over but MT is clearly a pragmatist first. In the end promotion can come down to a single point or a single goal so that Grimsby game I loved could have ended up costing us a place in the playoffs. Be careful what you wish for etc.