• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How good are Exeter?

Grecianpasty

Hi JohhnyD. Its always good to hear from new supporters. You've picked one hell of a team. Our fan based is very committed, friendly and welcoming to all football fans.

I'd agree with aot of what has already been said. Added to that I'd say we have become a regimented and well organised team. Some may disagree, but I'm just giving my perspective on what has changed under Matty Taylors reign. That has of course led to a lack of creativity and end product. We've signed nicky ajose who we are all hoping will do the job for us. We blood youth, and have a heck of a reputation for doing so. Jack sparkes and Archie Collins are too players who are most likely to have successful careers, with the hopes that Ben Seymour will too when given his opportunity.

It's early days to suggest that we will be knocking on the doors of automatics this year, but it's fair to say not reaching the play offs for a second year running would be a disappointment.

Go to Newport. It will be a proper league Two game.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not a rhetorical question but genuinely curious.

The opening game of this season was the first for me and my family and the second was today. From my initial view, Exeter are obviously tight at the back -- Dean Moxey looked good today --but a bit disjointed going forward. Manager seems a little conservative but then then being two points clear at the top after six games is nothing to sniff at.

Neither Macclesfield nor Mansfield impressed but that could be because of City but being new to Exeter and League Two, it is hard to say.

Is this the way City will play all season or can we expect more fluency and creativity in attack in the weeks and months to come? Are there more gears to move up into?

And, I would love to know what people think: are City good enough to go up? What would stop them, if anything?

As an aside, this is a really friendly club and we have been made very welcome! It's lovely.
Welcome Johnny D. Glad that you are enjoying the SJP experience. If you wish you can even become a part owner of the Club, by joining the Supporters Trust for as little as two quid a month. Among other benefits it gives you ticketing priority, and you are entered in a draw for every home match to become "Director for the Day" and enjoy hospitality in the Boardroom, and watching the game from the Director's box.

It is the empowerment of being a fan owned club, and doing things the right way that is glue, that binds us all together and makes us that little bit special, in our eyes at least !

budegrecian

I'd say it's work in progress. So far the team hasn't fired for anything like half a game, but when it does, as today showed with several moves we play decisive, attractive football. We need to do that more often. What I am pleased about is that the Manager appears to have lots of options to fit players in, and try different formations. For me a major criticism would be that we get the ball to the by-line outside the box, but there's no-one to meet the crosses. He needs to find someone who is as prolific as Stockley was, but with a greater work rate, and I'm sure there is someone in the squad who can perform that function. There are apparently many more young players who later in the season will be pushing for places. Noah Smerdon and Ben Seymour spring to mind, but as you will see with young players in the is league they need to improve physically, especially against opponents like today's. You'll enjoy Newport if you go - but it rains a lot!
So we've got someone in the squad who can bang in 25+ goals a season & work harder than Stockley. Please tell me who that is.

Max Payne 2

I like our results thus far, but we've not been fully fluent except away to Morecambe first half. Ajose was obviously a mis-step from the management and we'll have to wear that contract. I don't think he's up to league level, attitude not helping.

Nicky Law being out shows the needs. One more mid one more up front or someone to roam in the hole and link play. Defence looks rock.

tonykellowfan

You also have to remember that this is league 2 and the standard in some games is poor. We can look good for 6 games and then lose 3-0. As can all the teams in the league. However as you have noticed we are strong at the back and this probably will give us an edge over the whole season. We have a good blend of experience and youth in the squad and the club and the fans are behind the manager which means he is not under short term pressure. The club and team are in a good place at the moment.

TSW1389

I think we are at a similar level to same stage last season. Defence is stronger but Stockley was such a freak at league 2 we would never be able to replace him with same output. Yes when we lost Boateng for 3 months we lost some form but yesterday showed we can make do without Law. Law is a great player in league 2 and will be missed (don't know how long he's out for) but I think Taylor has stepped up being allowed to play a further forward. If we can keep solid at the back and grind out results while not playing overly exciting football play offs should be expected if not automatic.
I do have worries over Aaron Martin and his physicality often seems tentative to come and win that first header. Can see why MT went with O'Shea last season. His right foot is one reason he's kept in. That balance gives the defence it's balance. Maybe a back 3 of Martin, Parkes and Moxey maybe the line up going forward. Sweeney needs to raise his level to where it was 2 seasons ago

crocks

Nicky Law should be back next Saturday. He slept funny and cricked his neck Friday night - well, that's the excuse he's giving :cool:

andrew p long

I like our results thus far, but we've not been fully fluent except away to Morecambe first half. Ajose was obviously a mis-step from the management and we'll have to wear that contract. I don't think he's up to league level, attitude not helping.
Ajose’s start reminds me of Lee Martin last season, who had real difficulties settling in. But came good after a few months. Ajose can do the same.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ajose’s start reminds me of Lee Martin last season, who had real difficulties settling in. But came good after a few months. Ajose can do the same.
Exactly, when will fans learn not to write off players so quickly. As Christy has shown at Peterborough it can all come good very quickly.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The difference being that Martin, despite not having a great start to his City career, always tried his hardest and effort clearly wasn't a problem. Ajose just looks disinterested and has a poor work rate. If he's not match fit then he should run his nuts off until he's out of steam and then he can be subbed, even if that means coming off at half time!!