• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Square Pegs In Round Holes

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I never understood the criticism of Tisdale for this, so will not join in on any for Taylor.

We are a lower League team, we make do with what we have, they're professional footballers, play for the team, some of our best players over our history, Hatch, Edwards, Whitehead could do a job in a number of positions and that helped us enormously.
I've no problem in players being able to play in more than one position if they are able to do so but Williams is a winger with clearly only one foot to play with so play him on the side where he can be most effective. Lee Martin can play in other positions but why pick him ahead of somebody who is better tooled up to do so.

manc grecian

Loads of team play with reverse wingers and Martin has said he prefers to play off the striker rather than wide. Start of last season he played wide and stunk the place out.

grecIAN Harris

Loads of team play with reverse wingers and Martin has said he prefers to play off the striker rather than wide. Start of last season he played wide and stunk the place out.
But they have the ability to play, even if it is to a lesser level, with both feet. Williams right foot appears to be only used for standing on at best.

Exehausted

I would have taken Williams off after 65 minutes. I thought he did well defensively in the first half but created very little. By the hour mark he was looking tired and defensively he seemed lost and he kept running up blind alleys when he did get the ball. I would have brought on Richardson who was so impressive at Oldham and he has real pace and he looks a natural wing back. I thought Aaron Martin had a mixed game today. He made more headers than last time but he shanked a few when he had time to get good contact on the ball. I would bring Parkes in for him next Saturday and Richardson for Williams. If fit, Law would come in for Matt Jay. I thought Matt had a good game but I was surprised he got the sponsors Man of the Match, that was Moxey by a country mile.

Grecian Max

But they have the ability to play, even if it is to a lesser level, with both feet. Williams right foot appears to be only used for standing on at best.
You're view of winger seems to be stuck in the 80s... as manc said reverse wingers is a pretty standard thing now

Matt's been pretty flexible tactically so far, he has an excellent squad and I think Atangana is going to be a massive boost as a proper holding midfielder

grecIAN Harris

You're view of winger seems to be stuck in the 80s... as manc said reverse wingers is a pretty standard thing now

Matt's been pretty flexible tactically so far, he has an excellent squad and I think Atangana is going to be a massive boost as a proper holding midfielder
No, my view is if you're going to play as a 'reverse" winger then you need to be two footed as any half witted full back is going to stop you cutting back on to your stronger foot so you therefore have to be able to deliver with your weak foot which is quite clearly something Randall Williams can't or severely lacks confidence in doing.

manc grecian

It might help if his full back overlapped but he's to busy falling over himself

grecIAN Harris

We have two stay at home full backs Manc. That's been a given from the start of the season. You aren't going to suddenly turn Sweeny and Woody into Scott Hiley and Chris Vinnicombe of 89/90 vintage (that might be before your time). This is why I'm banging on about Williams and Lee Martin playing as proper wingers on their correct sides (with regards their strongest foot). It might be a little old fashioned but it is the most effective way to get the service our strike force is currently being starved of.

Red Devon

Lee Martin had a good game again today close to getting on the end of some loose balls in the box and put over the ball of the match in the first half that both Bowman and Williams were an inch away from getting on the end of....definitely no square peg!

grecIAN Harris

Lee Martin had a good game again today close to getting on the end of some loose balls in the box and put over the ball of the match in the first half that both Bowman and Williams were an inch away from getting on the end of....definitely no square peg!
And he did that in a natural strikers position? Mmmmm. Or maybe he did it from a position from where he is most effective, out wide where 99.9% of crosses come from?