• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay Utd PSF

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
He is good in the air and his positional and reading of the game is excellent at centre half. The majority of games he played at centre half last season he played really well hence why MT kept picking him.
Totally agree. Unfortunately it seems that Dean is already this season's Hiram as far as TPC's opinion is concerned (with Pierce lined up as a substitute) ! Lol

Red Devon

He is good in the air and his positional and reading of the game is excellent at centre half. The majority of games he played at centre half last season he played really well hence why MT kept picking him.
Would agree with that.

Red Monster

Unfortunately all the evidence points to TPC being correct. He's ok as centre back cover but no better than that. Parkes and Martin far better, yet to see enough of Warren or Cundy to know for sure if they should also be ahead of him. As a left back he's been pretty much hopeless since the beginning of last season and he should be behind both Woody and Sparkes in the pecking order comfortably.
I’m not sure the evidence stacks up Moxey like Sweeney was
Part of a back four which conceded only 49 goals last season,
Which was 5th lowest in the league.
If they are as poor as some are making out ,we must have got
Out of jail a hell of a lot of times.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
For large parts of last season we loaded the midfield with Collins and Taylor protecting the back line, we also had O'Shea who covered for Moxey on countless occasions. Moxey had some shocking games. One of the reasons Moxey played last season was because he was left sided, all of our other senior centre backs were right sided. It says a lot that we signed Parkes for this season who is an out and out left sided centre back, if Taylor was so happy with Moxey in that role I don't think that would have happened.

If we play 4 - 4 - 2 this season with Moxey at centre back, Sweeney at right back and Woodman at left back we will concede plenty of goals.

ps. If you guys genuinely think Moxey is good in the air for a centre back then you really do need to have a word with yourselves.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not having seen any of the pre season's can only judge on 360's and last season, but Moxey certainly wasn't aware of the threat for Torquay's goal, and last season he definitely faired better when playing centre half. But now as TPC has pointed out we have a left sided centre half in Parkes which gives MT a dilemma of what to do with Moxey (one of our highest paid players (assumption))in a 4-4-2 formation. At the moment Woodman isn't match fit so it is between Sparkes and Moxey for the left back role, with MT's recent comments about Sparkes I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him give the lad a go against Macclesfield particularly after Moxey was found wanting on Saturday.

On the other hand he could well stick to the bulk of the team that started Saturday and keep with the pace of both Sweeney and Moxey at full backs, I know which I would go for bearing in mind the opposition.

andrew p long

[QUOTE="The Proper Chap, post: 1805287, member: 14393

.... It says a lot that we signed Parkes for this season who is an out and out left sided centre back, if Taylor was so happy with Moxey in that role I don't think that would have happened.

[/QUOTE]

MT wants two options in every position (which he has except at right back). Deano is our only left back between the ages of 18 and 36 so I expect him to start there but to be cover for Parkes.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
[QUOTE="The Proper Chap, post: 1805287, member: 14393

.... It says a lot that we signed Parkes for this season who is an out and out left sided centre back, if Taylor was so happy with Moxey in that role I don't think that would have happened.
MT wants two options in every position (which he has except at right back). Deano is our only left back between the ages of 18 and 36 so I expect him to start there but to be cover for Parkes.
[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree but the fact of the matter is Parkes has been signed to play as a first choice left sided centre back, i.e. Taylor prefers him in that role to Moxey.

With regards to Moxey playing left back, at this stage I think Taylor feels he is the only option with Woodman being injured, the fact that Taylor is trying to mould Sparkes into a player who can play left back also tells you he is concerned about that area of our team. Sparkes has only been playing the role for about a month yet he is already being considered as an option !

I believe Moxey will start on Saturday however I'm not sure Taylor will tolerate too many more errors from him, he was poor against Swansea last week and his error led to the Torquay goal on Saturday, hardly a good starting point.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also with regards to people making scapegoat comments, nobody is a scapegoat, I simply post my comments on players based on their current ability and their performances / contribution on the pitch.

IndoMike

Not having seen any of the pre season's can only judge on 360's and last season, but Moxey certainly wasn't aware of the threat for Torquay's goal, and last season he definitely faired better when playing centre half. But now as TPC has pointed out we have a left sided centre half in Parkes which gives MT a dilemma of what to do with Moxey (one of our highest paid players (assumption))in a 4-4-2 formation. At the moment Woodman isn't match fit so it is between Sparkes and Moxey for the left back role, with MT's recent comments about Sparkes I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him give the lad a go against Macclesfield particularly after Moxey was found wanting on Saturday.

On the other hand he could well stick to the bulk of the team that started Saturday and keep with the pace of both Sweeney and Moxey at full backs, I know which I would go for bearing in mind the opposition.
The player must fit the team, not vice versa. Moxey must be picked on merit only : no place for sentiment. No dilemma. I sincerely hope that is the way Matt will approach it.