• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay Utd PSF

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Moxey, Taylor and Sweeney are not in good form I hope they don't become "untouchables".
Agree Mike, We had too many "Untouchables" during the Tisdale era, It should be about form not who they are

Larry Wilkie

Would be interested to know what the tempo of the game was like. Yes it's a pre-season game, but just a week out from the real thing was there a bit more oomph about it?! That and I think Torquay would have loved the Devon double!
Listening to the commentary there were definitely some 'tasty' challenges going in from both sides. The lads on commentary seemed to enjoy the game. If that's anything to go by then yes there was a bit more oomph.

Steve H

I think we saw the starting line up for next week barring injuries...

exeter-loyal

How did we play?

Positive spin

Reading between the lines I think I'd prefer to have Sparkes at left back. What he lacks in experience he makes up for in pace and willingness to get forward. It's only natural that Moxey is slowing down a bit : he should be sub ready to cover left-side central defender or left back.
If Moxey, Taylor and Sweeney are not in good form I hope they don't become "untouchables".
My worry is that Moxey seems to be slowing down more rapidly than Woodman

ryancooper327

How did we play?
Poor start, Torquay were up for it. Officiating a bit iffy. Grew into it massively.

Bowman started going for the 50/50s.
Williams looked good.
Parkes and Martin good pairing.
Ward comfortable with punching.
Sweeney knocked a few balls straight out.
Moxey best in most occasions.
Midfield were ok.
Ajose made good runs, great assist.
Law good.

Good tempo played it on the ground when needed and a few long balls when needed.

Overall, good entertaining match. Policing was a bit over the top. Massive detour leaving the ground. Every bobby in Torbay was there it seems.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hopefully a big season for him.
Hopefully a big season for all of them!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
McCarthy, Canham or Devine ???

;)
Devine every time from those three

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Poor start, Torquay were up for it. Officiating a bit iffy. Grew into it massively.

Bowman started going for the 50/50s.
Williams looked good.
Parkes and Martin good pairing.
Ward comfortable with punching.
Sweeney knocked a few balls straight out.
Moxey best in most occasions.
Midfield were ok.
Ajose made good runs, great assist.
Law good.

Good tempo played it on the ground when needed and a few long balls when needed.

Overall, good entertaining match. Policing was a bit over the top. Massive detour leaving the ground. Every bobby in Torbay was there it seems.
Pretty much agree with all of that but thought Ward looked shaky. More than once in the first half he came over the top of players to get to the ball and failed to connect.

Anyone know who we're playing on Tuesday behind closed doors?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Aaron Martin and Parkes were decent today, problems were either side of them. Deano done well to cover for their goal but then dawdled on the ball and got caught. Sweenz didn't have his best passing game. Their left winger missed two sitters at the far post from low crosses where they got behind Deano and we had to shuffle across.

After a slow start though we got going. Bowman was a constant handful when holding the ball up or chasing in behind. There looks a start of a partnership with Ajose who showed some quality moments, particularly for Williams goal from Bowman's flick. Hopefully he will get sharper as the season gets going.

Williams also showed the start of linking up well with Bowman and Ajose. He will infuriate at times and go missing but he can give us something extra in terms of pace and trickery.

I thought Jake played well today. Got about the pitch and was quick to the ball. A good break might have done him good.

Ward also looked good. Good punches under pressure and a smart save down to his right late on. Good kicking in general. Might need to be a bit more vocal although I was up in the stand so might not have been best placed.

Starting Sparkes at left back any time soon would be a big call if Deano and Woody fit. I would prefer Woody to start at the moment fitness permitting.

Overall, still need a few games I feel to find our feet and get right up to speed.