• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe Struggling (as ever)

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah it's well run like Enron was well run.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
We pride ourselves on being a community club, with family days, kids' zone at home matches and other work in the community.
Somehow it doesn't quite seem right that our sponsor should be a betting company. Imagine young kids walking around with the name of a betting company emblazoned
on their City shirts : do people really think that's OK? We have a marketing division and it's their job to earn their brass and find a suitable sponsor.

Grecian Max

If it was a betting company (which I doubt will happen), the kids shirts would be sponsorless/have something else on them like all the other teams with those type of sponsers. See Bristol City as an example.

IndoMike

If it was a betting company (which I doubt will happen), the kids shirts would be sponsorless/have something else on them like all the other teams with those type of sponsers. See Bristol City as an example.
That's true, although kids are smart and they'll ask their parents how come their shirt doesn't look the same as the players' shirts. What about teenage kids, which make up a significant proportion of the under 21s?
Ramone is right in saying that everyone must be responsible for their own life choices, but that's the theory : in practice not everyone is mentally strong enough to avoid temptation and I imagine thousands of families have been destroyed by having a gambling addict in the family. And as mentioned above, you can lose everything just by picking up your mobile phone and clicking a few times on a betting website - it's almost like you're playing monopoly and not real money
I confess I'm a bit of a stickler on this : I don't even believe in credit cards.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I imagine thousands of families have been destroyed by having a gambling addict in the family.
Stan Bowles who turned out over 300 times for QPR was very much an addict. He finished his playing career at Brentford and ended up working at Brentford's B&Q where he still had the occasional flutter when he could afford it. Now 70, Stan is now back in Manchester being cared for by is daughter as he now suffers with Alzheimer's and can no longer speak.

Ash

That's true, although kids are smart and they'll ask their parents how come their shirt doesn't look the same as the players' shirts. What about teenage kids, which make up a significant proportion of the under 21s?
Ramone is right in saying that everyone must be responsible for their own life choices, but that's the theory : in practice not everyone is mentally strong enough to avoid temptation and I imagine thousands of families have been destroyed by having a gambling addict in the family. And as mentioned above, you can lose everything just by picking up your mobile phone and clicking a few times on a betting website - it's almost like you're playing monopoly and not real money
I confess I'm a bit of a stickler on this : I don't even believe in credit cards.
You don't believe in credit cards? Well I can assure you that they're real, I've had quite a few myself. It's Santa Claus you're thinking of, he's not real. And God, obviously ;)

IndoMike

You don't believe in credit cards? Well I can assure you that they're real, I've had quite a few myself. It's Santa Claus you're thinking of, he's not real. And God, obviously ;)
I've managed without them perfectly well throughout my life. I hear the interest rates are mahoosive if you are in the red and they're susceptible to fraud. Also until recently there was a 3% surcharge when using them in stores -bloody cheek. Debit cards are fine.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Debit cards are fine.
But surely they are as susceptible to fraud as credit cards?

Not a fan of credit cards and the interest rates are ridiculous considering record low interest rates, (partially used to fund fraud prevention and partially for greed), but they do play a part in today's must have world

IndoMike

But surely they are as susceptible to fraud as credit cards?

Not a fan of credit cards and the interest rates are ridiculous considering record low interest rates, (partially used to fund fraud prevention and partially for greed), but they do play a part in today's must have world
ATMs are susceptible to fraud : 600 quid was nicked from my account (long story) - but they're the lesser of the two evils imo

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think credit cards are great and most of my purchases are done using one. I stick with one card and, without fail, pay it off totally every month. Currently I've got an M and S card which gives me a lot of vouchers every three months which I normally use for further clothing purchases. In addition everything you buy online is protected by insurance when in the post.