• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Norrie

00gill78

Thought the hand movements were defensive to start with (pulled his jacket closed
a couple of times) then later on more open. But thats bye the bye.
Was full of cliche and corporate speak. Reading between the lines there was nothing of real substance.
Would of preferred 'right I've been here 9 months I'm going to do this, this, and
this'. Touched the heartstrings about about why he couldn't walk away and that
the 'Club got under my skin'. Well your're not doing it for free are you Norrie? And
if you want to be a fan pay your money through the turnstyle like everyone else.
That's probably me being too cynical. Good luck to him. Not convinced. And
not convinced we need a CEO.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
Has anyone watched this? And if so, what did you make of it?

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2087286,00.html
Just watched it now and it has convinced me that despite the flaws in the appointment process the end result has been a good man in place. I suspect a lot of other people (RTP for one) will be feeling the same so well done to the club for arranging this and for making it free to watch.

Alistair20000

Thought the hand movements were defensive to start with (pulled his jacket closed
a couple of times) then later on more open. But thats bye the bye.
Was full of cliche and corporate speak. Reading between the lines there was nothing of real substance.
Would of preferred 'right I've been here 9 months I'm going to do this, this, and
this'. Touched the heartstrings about about why he couldn't walk away and that
the 'Club got under my skin'. Well your're not doing it for free are you Norrie? And
if you want to be a fan pay your money through the turnstyle like everyone else.
That's probably me being too cynical. Good luck to him. Not convinced. And
not convinced we need a CEO.
Very much my conclusion. I have a client who interviews for recruitment of CEO's at high PLC level. He advises me that hand movements tell us a lot about a person's character and in particular when the candidate might be massaging the truth in a reply.

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very much my conclusion. I have a client who interviews for recruitment of CEO's at high PLC level. He advises me that hand movements tell us a lot about a person's character and in particular when the candidate might be massaging the truth in a reply.
So, in summation, hand movements tell you that someone might, just might, be massaging the truth.

That being the case, tell us, what signifigance does your client attach to 'em and, more to the point, would he overlook someone who was otherwise the best candidate because their hand movements might signify something untoward?

Seems to me a funny way for a top PLC to conduct its affairs.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Just watched the video and thought it was a good interview. Of course there wasn't any major detail but I didn't expect any at that sort of announcement.
To be honest, I didn't interpret his hand movements as anything other than someone trying to sit comfortably for an extended period on what looked like pretty rudimentary bench seating. As for the jacket, from what I've seen most men seated in a jacket will straighten it from time to time in exactly that manner. Certainly didn't see him close it - probably wasn't that chilly.:D
Just my view...

Last edited:

Alistair20000

So, in summation, hand movements tell you that someone might, just might, be massaging the truth.

That being the case, tell us, what signifigance does your client attach to 'em and, more to the point, would he overlook someone who was otherwise the best candidate because their hand movements might signify something untoward?

Seems to me a funny way for a top PLC to conduct its affairs.
He does not work for one PLC; he vets for lots of PLC's; but perhaps it is all a con. As I understand it, the study of body movements is part of the process of building an overall picture. A candidate who is thought to be lying or massaging the truth will generally be unsuitable for all manner of other reasons.

The interview we have seen was not of course part of the recruitment process; it was a PR exercise with generalised patsy questions.

Poultice

Hardly need all this psycho babble to know that Norrie is a shifty fecker, his last firm went down for the thick end of 20 million and he lied about Tis' budget.

He doesn't love the club, he needs a pay cheque.

He does not work for one PLC; he vets for lots of PLC's; but perhaps it is all a con. As I understand it, the study of body movements is part of the process of building an overall picture. A candidate who is thought to be lying or massaging the truth will generally be unsuitable for all manner of other reasons.

The interview we have seen was not of course part of the recruitment process; it was a PR exercise with generalised patsy questions.
When studying body language you also have to quickly try and gauge what is the person's normal behaviour so you can interpret the changes in behaviour - it's not all about the actual behaviour, more the changes under questioning. You also have to try and factor in nerves due to the situation as opposed to stress signals resulting from the question posed.

It's not as easy as some people make it sound i.e. scratches nose = paedo.

Oli

Body language study is a factor in some recruitment process however it is measured alongside other factors if used sensibly.

Oli

Oli

I realise your tongue is firmly in your cheek but, believe it or not, I already try to do that.

Here's an email I sent to my colleagues on the BoS at the weekend...

I must express my disappointment with the way this has been handled thus far and, in particular, the release that was published on the club website on Friday.

Breaking News - Club Announce Chief Executive
Posted on: Fri 02 Jul 2010
The board of Exeter City Football Club are delighted to announce that they have appointed Norrie Stewart as Chief Executive with immediate effect.

This follows a selection process that included interviewing eight short-listed candidates.

More details to follow.

Given Norrie wasn't, we were told, in the running for the job and wasn't one of the eight shortlisted candidates, it's hardly surprising that some people are crying 'foul' and suggesting that this result was in fact a fait accompli from the moment the vacancy arose.

I don't think that but I do think it's been handled very poorly. If, as we claim, we really are 'no ordinary football club' then we owe it to our supporters - not to mention the unsuccessful applicants - to explain how we've arrived at this result; we need to explain how Norrie has ended up in a job for which he, initially at least, sat on the selection panel and for which, we were told, he wasn't in the running.

I appreciate the statement on the official site says 'More details to follow' but, IMO, that demonstrates a woeful lack of foresight. The minute Norrie's appointment was made public we should have provided a full rationale for the decision; we're now on the back foot and find ourselves having to defend what will, I'm sure, over the course of time prove a good appointment.
Tongue not in cheek at all, thought you might want to help represent some members questions at a BoS meeting. Thought you would be more open to them than perhaps rightwing who clearly thinks nothing wrong has been done at all.

Your email is fine, but I don't really see many questions.

Would you be willing to represent some questions compiled and agreed here?