• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Any More Friendlies?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
OK, I have the following listed- WSM, Errea Cup, Spurs, Derby, Salisbury, FGR and 3 Bridges (though this seems to have disappeared from the official site list).

Is that it? Seems a bit light to me, especially on the home front.

For the record, looks like I'll be going to Derby and 3 Bridges, if it's on.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

....Is that it? Seems a bit light to me, especially on the home front.....
Yes, I think that is it....

Possibly the smallest number of home friendlies in recent history!! We usually have at least four....and it must be the first time in years we've not had a PSF at Ladysmead.

Still I guess the two home ones will be well attended and we might get more cash in from those two games (Derby will be a bigger draw now with the Deano connection) than four PSF's against lesser opposition.

Antony Moxey

Last season I think we played 11 friendlies, this season it's eight, although I think if we progress to the final of the Errea Cup it'll be ten. The only unfortunate for me is we have Spurs lumped in the middle of the Errea thing and that FGR and Three Bridges are both on the same day.

malcolms

But surely the games are not just money making exercises but also about building patterns and giving new players a chance to become familiar with team mates and structures in a match situation.

Newtonpop

Denzel, I think the 3 bridges game is for the reserves/youth team and am I right in thinking that because we are in this tournament that we seem to have less friendlies?

Pete Martin (CTID)

But surely the games are not just money making exercises but also about building patterns and giving new players a chance to become familiar with team mates and structures in a match situation.
Of course......

malcolms

Yes, I think that is it....

Possibly the smallest number of home friendlies in recent history!! We usually have at least four....and it must be the first time in years we've not had a PSF at Ladysmead.

Still I guess the two home ones will be well attended and we might get more cash in from those two games (Derby will be a bigger draw now with the Deano connection) than four PSF's against lesser opposition.
But your second paragraph seems to suggest otherwise

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

But your second paragraph seems to suggest otherwise
That comment wasn't made at the exclusion of all other reasons for having a PSF, it was simply a comment on the financial element of same.

denzel

Thanks for the responses, I guess it's a case of 'less is more'!!

Wonder if Tis was worried about getting another St Blazey situation, where one of our players gets injured in a nothing match.

Antony Moxey

That was Bodmin Denz. A worse evening it's hard to imagine, from the thug players, ignorant and stroppy people involved with the club, **** taking tannoy announcer - I doubt very much the club will ever go back there again. St Blazey, however, couldn't have been more different - a fantastic club that was very welcoming and couldn't be more pleased to have us there.

I wonder why we went back there last pre-season and gave Bodmin a miss...