• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Any of your players good enough for Plymouth?

IJN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ill take this a little seriously. In a couple of Years Paul Jones will be good enought to play Champ Standard(Althogh he will do it with us lol). Moxey with a little more consistency! Liam Sercombe also in a few years will be champ Standard. Weve got a lot of Good prospects its a matter of us keeping hold of them imho!!
Problem with that is, teams like us could poach.

Look at what Wolves did to us with SEB or Ipswich did with us with Norris or Cardiff did with Capaldi.

Not meaning to wind you lot up, but say PAFC came in with a bid for Sercombe (as an example), we could offer him (say) £3k a week and the possibility of CCC next season, do you think he wouldn't jump at the chance.

That's the problem teams like ECFC and PAFC face, it's simply the pecking order of league football.

It's bleddy annoying but there is nothing we can really do about it.

Grecian Max

But Ian, you need this reiterated.

You will be fecked for money in a couple of years and in L1 below us.

We won't take any players from you because they'll all be sh*t.

Last edited:

The Emperor

Problem with that is, teams like us could poach.

Look at what Wolves did to us with SEB or Ipswich did with us with Norris or Cardiff did with Capaldi.

That's the problem teams like ECFC and PAFC face, it's simply the pecking order of league football.
Bantering aside Ian, I think it's pretty common knowledge that you aren't wallowing in cash. Whilst every player has a price, whatever level they play at, to suggest some of our better players could move to Argyle is pie in the sky. If we go up I doubt anyone will leave for at least a season, if we do not, then I honestly feel the only major senior player to leave will be Gill (aside from the oldies) as he's out of contract.

The reality is that you just can't afford any of our best players.

The situation is somewhat different from 18 months ago, and if you look at things logically it is more likely that some of your fringe players will move to us than movement in the opposite direction.

With Japanese investment it could be a different story, but at present, sorry, it isn't going to happen. No aspiring player will swap a club with the big Mo to one highly likely to be trading blows with us in another 18 months.

IJN

We are not swamped for money, but I would wager, compared to what you've got we're like Abu flipping Dhabi.

I'n not saying we have millions, but you have to remember what is small bucks in the CCC is very very big bucks in League 2.

This is not a bantery type post, and I know some of what you are saying is, but come on, be very honest, when has ECFC ever been bigger/richer/better than PAFC.

We will never be bigger than Bristol City, if Argyle fans are truthful, we know that to be the case, and you, will never be bigger than us.

Using that example, BCFC might have been below us in league status for a few years, but we still understand the pecking order that exists.

I can only remember one single year that you've been above us (Glass's last minute goal at Carlisle etc etc) but come on peeps, the history of the two clubs proves what I am saying.

Are history is most season in tier 2, but we have a lot of time in the top half of tier 3 with 5 seasons in tier 4.

I think your history is most seasons in tier 4, an occasional (and very quick) visit into tier 3 and 5 seasons in tier 5 (i.e. non league).

Doesn't that indicate what I am saying is true?

The Emperor

Perfectly true, but what you suggest is based on 80 years of history. We aren't talking history, we're talking here and now. The main difference is that in the past you had the cash, we needed it. Now you don't have the cash, we need it less than we ever did. We're an upwardly mobile club, possibly going to a level we have been at all too infrequently. You have peaked and are returning to your more natural level.

If you take all those things into consideration I'd bet that unless you come up with bids in the region of which you were buying players in the last few years (i.e. in excess of 400k), you'll not have a hope of attracting our players.

For me to suggest this will always be the case would be stupid, but for now we have the upper hand in this respect.

I don't think any of Jones, Taylor, Moxey, Seaborne or Sercombe will leave for less that 500k plus add ons.

You don't have, at this moment in time, that kind of cash at hand.

IJN

I don't think we have, but I'm not too sure of your valuations.

I'm not saying they're not worth that, I'm saying that I have no idea what they are worth.

I would be amazed though, if you have hidden your jewels (because they wold have to be, to be worth that mcuh) so well.

You're in a crap league, and some of the oposition is possibly worse than some of the teams you have faced in the non league wilderness.

If you get up, and I hope you do, that will be the acid test.

As I have said, we won two Championships, i.e. we were better than every other team in our division TWICE before our decent players were noticed, so you could be right.

I can never see or even imagine the time when ECFC is regarded by anyone has a better/bigger club by anyone in football though, just as, as I said, we would be ragarded bigger/better than BCFC.

It's just the way it 'is'.

Thanks for the chat though, very refreshing, and makes a change from people saying that I'm an 'inbreed' or some other such cerebral offerings.

Good luck for the Rotherham game.

The Emperor

Did someone say we were bigger?? If they did they are deluded. It's unlikely we ever will be, but never say never.

I doubt you saw a day 15 years ago where Wigan would be bigger than you.

Maybe Doncaster next?

Who's to say? It's what dreams are made of.

Stuart Storer's Tache

Perfectly true, but what you suggest is based on 80 years of history. We aren't talking history, we're talking here and now. The main difference is that in the past you had the cash, we needed it. Now you don't have the cash, we need it less than we ever did. We're an upwardly mobile club, possibly going to a level we have been at all too infrequently. You have peaked and are returning to your more natural level.

If you take all those things into consideration I'd bet that unless you come up with bids in the region of which you were buying players in the last few years (i.e. in excess of 400k), you'll not have a hope of attracting our players.

For me to suggest this will always be the case would be stupid, but for now we have the upper hand in this respect.

I don't think any of Jones, Taylor, Moxey, Seaborne or Sercombe will leave for less that 500k plus add ons.

You don't have, at this moment in time, that kind of cash at hand.
Banter aside, I'm not sure I agree with you on that one.

However, things have changed since the Mackie deal and the gap is closing

IJN

I doubt you saw a day 15 years ago where Wigan would be bigger than you.
I don't think Wigan are bigger than us, or Reading.

Better, richer, but come on Wigan are just a rich man's plaything as are Reading.

I would say I regard Reading about the same as you, and Wigan are nowhere near as big a club as ECFC.

Perhaps it's just me pidgeon holeing, but I know what I mean. :S

Dubai Grecian

Perhaps it's just me pidgeon holeing, but I know what I mean. :S
You said it....