• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Leyton Orient versus Exeter City Matchday Thread

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I must have been refreshing ifollow when Orient went down to ten men (or there's the very realistic possibility that the commentators didn't notice - I don't think they noticed Diabate coming on).

When did this happen?
Embarrassingly, I didn't realise they were down to 10 until after! I thought we were just absolutely battering a team that had just retreated to see the game out...

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Too busy parroting pointless stats about game outcomes when we lead or trail at halftime in away games.
Yes, yes. God, that was irritating

arthur

Embarrassingly, I didn't realise they were down to 10 until after! I thought we were just absolutely battering a team that had just retreated to see the game out...
Moi aussi :)

tea stand

I didn't notice the 10 men either but it still doesn't take away from a great second performance. Teams with 10 men who are ahead tend to hang on. We played some great attacking football with quick passes and players running into spaces. It was great to watch!

arthur

But having said that, they played worse than Shrewsbury did with ten men; contrast these performances with ours against Burton. Someone on an O's site said it looked more like 6 v 11 rather than 10 v 11 which pretty much summed it up imho

dontpassback

Anyone notice Reece Cole having to be kept back from Wellens
after the final whistle,
it went on for quite a while and Reece wouldn’t let it go,
you can see on it on ifollow extended 9 minute highlights.
Wellens is a gobby piece of work,in his post match interview it was the lack of depth in the squad,etc etc,and he may have to play youngsters against derby,get your excuses in first eh wellens !

arthur

wrong thread

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
#Me too... Watching on a phone screen while getting nattered at. Must've been an injury with no subs left, as don't think there was a red?

andrew p long

#Me too... Watching on a phone screen while getting nattered at. Must've been an injury with no subs left, as don't think there was a red?
It was Cooper coming off on 76 minutes with an injury. BBC stats show 5 subs coming on and 6 players coming off. See the BBC line up which has Beckles replaced at half time by Cooper and then Cooper taken off on 76 minutes without being replaced.

I too missed the fact that Orient were down to 10. When Cooper was treated on the pitch at a time when Orient were busily time-wasting I thought ' he's screwed this up; being treated on the pitch means he'll have to go off for 30 seconds - and being down to 10 for 30 seconds will be a dangerous time'. I knew they were out of subs, so just assumed he'd been waved back on out of shot and the commentators hadn't mentioned it.

Instead they played 20 minutes with 10 men and it cost them two points. It's a risky/bizarre decision to use up all your subs with 30 minutes to go. (and Wellens' excuse that one of the subs was pre-planned doesn't wash - he could always have changed plans!)

Martin Weiler

I see crowd given as 7028 - Orient’s lowest of season. City’s support was magnificent even when 2 down. Although I did see one guy say his goodbyes and leave after their second went in. Missed a thrilling comeback; joyously celebrated at the end.