• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bolton Wanderers Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Another chance to view Sonny's second goal

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another excellent 360, arn’t they all. A great behind the goal view of Sonny’s Exocet shot.

Nice that Mike Shearers tribute was included. Mike did post on this forum years ago under lincsmike. He
always messaged me for a meet up whenever the Grecians were in Lincoln or Grimsby, offering to put me up if I needed to stay over. He once drove me back from Gravesend to Exeter where he was visiting his mum after a game. We left at 5.15pm, I was getting out of his car in Heavitree at 7.45pm 😁
A white knuckle ride down the M3 & A303 😎

RIP Mike

iscalad

Another excellent 360, arn’t they all. A great behind the goal view of Sonny’s Exocet shot.

Nice that Mike Shearers tribute was included. Mike did post on this forum years ago under lincsmike. He
always messaged me for a meet up whenever the Grecians were in Lincoln or Grimsby, offering to put me up if I needed to stay over. He once drove me back from Gravesend to Exeter where he was visiting his mum after a game. We left at 5.15pm, I was getting out of his car in Heavitree at 7.45pm 😁

RIP Mike
I didn't realise that he was a friend of my future son in law. He was around yesterday and I was able to show him the clip on YouTube.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

RIP Mike
The media team at City are genuinely amazing at what they do and work so well to push the club in a positive light and give us some great alternative angles of the games etc. They also did great in the interviews around GC's position with Hawker and I think they truly deserve huge credit. This season has been tough for them to find positives, especially on matchdays, but they still do they job brilliantly.

arthur

It doesn't seem credible that Caldwell wants to pressure certain areas of the pitch and deliver the ball in a certain way? That players follow instructions to keep shape? That work on the training ground means anything?

On the one hand you're pushing this narrative of Caldwell being a good coach - well, if that's the case then his players will be listening and following his gameplan.

I think it should be clear to most who watch football that we are particularly "drilled". This is not a freeform side with mavericks, and has been assembled as such. The creativity that odes exist isn't being made the most of going forward, in the majority of games this season.

What's f*cked me off is that you ask for detailed reasons, I give you them but you take none of it one board and take the p!ss, so what's the the point
I'm very sorry to have fecked you off. I think Edwin has summed up the point better than I did, but using more temperate language. I still feel though that your "Rankine is not allowed" conclusion is undermined by the fact that Niskanen seems to put in far more crosses than Rankine does (I may of course be mistaken), so the issue is with the player rather than the manager...

Mid Devon Grecian

I'm very sorry to have fecked you off. I think Edwin has summed up the point better than I did, but using more temperate language. I still feel though that your "Rankine is not allowed" conclusion is undermined by the fact that Niskanen seems to put in far more crosses than Rankine does (I may of course be mistaken), so the issue is with the player rather than the manager...
I’d put forward the suggestion that Niskanen might put in more crosses but how many of them end up on the foot/head of one of our attacking players rather than opposing defenders!

Rankine, being trained in a PL Academy may well have had it drilled into him not to cross if no clear options are in the box.

Conclusion - may not be GC instructing him but rather the way he’s been trained at an elite academy.

TotnesGrecian

Niskanen is so direct and has such little football ability attached that I’m not sure he can do anything other than run forward and kick forward.

Look, you need to be sensible about how you read my view. Obviously Rankine has put crosses in (bad ones usually other than at Stevenage away), and gets into the box - but the general pattern of play on the wings for a lot of this season is to move the ball either back towards one of the back three or cross to the middle to find a 10.

I’ve seen this with my own eyes over and over. I’ve seen it repeated with different players too. It’s happened so often logically I would say it’s instructions. Why would it keep happening? This is also why there are numbers attacking the box, including the previously mentioned Aichinson shouting for the ball. I could honestly repeat this scene 100s of times from my viewpoint. Usually with a “f*ck sake” from JA

You ask me to go into detail, I did. You then do a little skit about it being laughable, ok boss 👍🏻
Imagine someone asking for your opinion, and giving your opinion based evidence to be told its a load of *****

Defeats the point of a forum really....

iscalad

Imagine someone asking for your opinion, and giving your opinion based evidence to be told its a load of *****

Thought that was the whole point of a forum 😁

arthur

I suggest you enter into an argument with one A Moxey, Elder of this parish, and see what happens when you disagree with him :)

andrew p long

Slightly surprised Bolton brought only 948 away fans (cf capacity of 1,300 plus), this took a bit off the expected attendance too. But I guess the weather, distance etc affected this.
Bolton are on a run of 11 games in 5 weeks, so I suspect some regular travellers decided that they couldn't do every game and that this long journey was one to miss. Presumably lots had made the much shorter trip to Barnsley in midweek. But disappointing from ECFC perspective as normally you'd expect them to fill the away end easily.