• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Out of interest, why wait until the corpse of the current one is cold? Why not form a phoenix club now a la AFC Wimbledon?
I think that would be difficult whilst TUFC still exists and could be divisive in splitting the fanbase into warring factions at a time when they need to be united. For example look at Bury where some fans started a "phoenix" club, whilst another group were intent on resurrecting the old one. It has taken a considerable for them to actually come together as one.
TUST does need to be proactive and plan a strategy however. Fundraising should be undertaken although no doubt Mr Osbourne would be opposed ! A few background approaches to the local authority might help too, building a relationship with them would be key as they own the ground. The Council would not risk the wrath of the electorate by overseeing the demise of the Club, and whilst they may have their hands tied by their own desperate need of funding, one would hope they would still give valuable assistance in other ways. Supporting a Community Organisation would have far more appeal than handing out support to an avaricious property developer.

Nigel E

A new ground is a smokescreen. Clarke Osborne preys on clubs who (in his words) are on their knees. He covets their land and in so many cases he has got it, leaving the clubs homeless going right back to Bristol Rovers. The bloke has to be some sort of sociopath to continually do this to communities and their sporting teams. To date, going back over 4 decades of him operating in this way, he has not built a single stadium.
I think he has over-reached himself with you, though. He doesn't own the ground and continues to plough millions into the club with no prospect of getting it back unless he can get the Council to let go of the freehold. The Council just needs to play hardball and keep a tight grip on Plainmoor until there is a new ground in place.

**Spoiler alert** No new ground will be built.

A reckoning will arrive - probably within the next year or two - when Osborne will issue some kind of ultimatum, along the lines of "give me the ground or I'll pull the plug".

But the point is, if you're still in National League South that "threat" really doesn't carry much weight. If you're lucky a phoenix club would get to restart at non-league step 4 (Southern League Div 1) or at worst Step 5 (Western League Prem). Like Hereford, a phoenix Torquay could be back where you started within 3 or 4 seasons, and in the meantime you'll have had a right laugh following a side you have more connection with, and travelling to all kinds of weird places and mostly winning.

In many respects, it is becoming more important to Osborne - than to the fans - that you get back to the National League because without that his gameplan will likely fail.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Torquay lose again tonight. How much more till Johnson walks

Torquay lose again tonight. How much more till Johnson walks
I’ve always liked Gary Johnson but Jesus, there must come a point where your self pride kicks in and you put your hands up and walk.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’ve always liked Gary Johnson but Jesus, there must come a point where your self pride kicks in and you put your hands up and walk.
Must be a Gary thing I guess lol

Must be a Gary thing I guess lol
I think he is well and truly past the stage “our” Gary was ever at

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think he is well and truly past the stage “our” Gary was ever at
Peronally I think Johnson was washed up at least five years ago

JGrecian23

Peronally I think Johnson was washed up at least five years ago
Wash your mouth out!

Grecian Max

Torquay now only the 21 points off autos

To lose 13 games out of 30, in a division where you're one of very few full time clubs is beyond embarrassing

andrew p long

Torquay now only the 21 points off autos

To lose 13 games out of 30, in a division where you're one of very few full time clubs is beyond embarrassing
though, for context, there is only one automatic promotion place from National League South, so this means 21 points off top spot.

And the play off places go down to 7th, which Torquay are just two points off. So their season is simultaneously both embarrassing and
very much still alive!