• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Carlisle Utd matchday thread

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t think the currently manager is that fabulous
Woah today's result must be galling for you!

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Get in there!! A bad night for the boo boys
Very stupid comment

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
not necessarily. Getting him early prevents others from signing him.
The reason why they managed to get him early is because they paid an amount that Harrogate and Armstrong thought it extremely unlikely anyone would match. That's how you conclude business early.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
The reason why they managed to get him early is because they paid an amount that Harrogate and Armstrong thought it extremely unlikely anyone would match. That's how you conclude business early.
I don't contest that.

But as Tavy said, only time will tell if that was a good decision.

BigBankAl

Slightly improved. My usual hit list all looked a bit better, against however poor oppposition.

That said we need to be beating these teams so it’s good from perspective. Home form improves like this I’ll be getting tissues for the nosebleed.

Glad to see the promotion winning back 3 (or parts of it), and Sonny up top getting another goal.

I’ll keep my powder dry on getting to carried away to see what we do in the window, and the still nagging feeling we’ve got another 10 game losing streak in the management.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't contest that.

But as Tavy said, only time will tell if that was a good decision.
No. Because they could've done more sensible business more slowly. The sole benefit of doing it early would be to have him in training and then playing this specific match. Have a look back through all the shaking anxiety on here about only getting one attacking player over the line in the first week. If Armstrong turns out to be great, they could still have got better value by waiting a bit to see what the auction was looking like.

denzel

Don't want to be one of those I told you so w***ers (but I am one).. anyone still jealous of Carlisle getting Armstrong in very very early for what is probably a serious chunk of cash, somewhere south, but not too far south of half a mil + big wages?
Early days they could still come good.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Early days they could still come good.
Early days eh? I guess everyone will be very relaxed about the speed of our business then if it's not realistic to expect anything much the first week. Think people were jealous of the speed rather than the player.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
That was Difficult to gauge, was City good or are Carlisle absolutely awful…..I’d suggest a mix of the two….fair play to anyone who travelled from Carlisle to watch that.

Thought the new lad did ok , some nice touches , drifted in and out a bit like you would expect.

The win was better than the performance but there does look like a bit more confidence is starting to creep back in….

I still found it a difficult watch as we play too slowly in possession but it’s nice to see us score at the 6th attempt this season.

Add a striker or ideally 2 and we will finish mid table comfortably this isn’t a strong league this year some of the sides below us or around us are far worse than us.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Credit where it's due, decent enough performance, good 3 points and I enjoyed it. More of that other the next few weeks and months and I may well change my avatar.