• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reading vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kite and Hartridge were woeful.

We need a new RB pronto and Hartridge needs to be dropped.
Harry isn't a full back - GC playing round pegs in square holes due to injuries he will probably claim.
With Zack's clinical finish today I still think that if / when the striking cavalry turn up Zack could be the converted striker.

Bridgy 81

I’m home and after scoffing my takeaway curry I’m now contemplating the day.
I was in the corner section, high up but in a front row seat with a sort of side on angled view.
Very nice.
Had Grecians next to me I hadn’t met before but had some pleasant chats with them so that was good too.
Saw some familiar faces as well, as always.
The match was frustrating though.
In many ways I think we played ok, but individual and collective mistakes cost us dearly.
There’s no point playing reasonably well for most of the game but letting them waltz straight through to score on their first attack and then after we’d worked hard to get back level gifting them a second on the stroke of half-time.
I haven’t seen a replay of Hartridge’s first half miss but from a distance it looked like a very presentable chance.
Second half I think we were ok again and did well to equalize, only to then not close their player down quickly enough for their winner (which to be fair looked a good strike as did Jules’ bullet shot for our first).
Reading didn’t look great to me and I think we could/should have got a result but for the glaring errors above.
I parked offsite but in an official spot (apparently where Reading’s Greyhound Stadium used to be).
It was a short walk to the ground but, as expected, a pain to exit after the game.
The drive home was rubbish too, raining and spray everywhere.
I did intend to start dry January today but I’ve fallen at the first hurdle.
I’ll do a damp one instead.
Hope everyone else got home ok.

Memphis09

Ok 90. Who in our squad fills those gaps?

We had a LCB playing LB and a CM playing RB today. We then had a WB (although I’m not even sure what Ilmari is) playing as a LW.

Couldn’t even field a full bench again today. “Scott to Wrexham for a million pound” who’s the one that posts *****?
Mine was a joke
Yours are serious I think

Memphis09

I thought the players gave everything today but our substitution were strange think that lost us the game.
Disappointed by the crowd booing the players at the end ,how do we expect them to play for us whilst all we do is boo them.
Think that it could be your son or brother on that pitch how would you feel.
Come on city fans let’s try and do our bit and support the team (if not the manager) .
Yes some are definitely not up to the mark but our attitude will not help
Agree
Get behind the team so important on Saturday

Jim Dale

There’s a lot of anger amongst the City faithful at the moment, and I understand why…

My feelings on the game were based on looking for signs of life… in the hope that we might- with useful additions this month- get out of this mess.

I don’t see value, at this point, in forensic analysis on every shortcoming in every player at every point… or in the manager, to be honest…

just my view… but we are where we are…. and have all known for a long time that the board don’t want to sack GC unless it becomes impossible for him to stay.

Given the expectation that the manager is staying put, I was looking for signs of improvement in forward play, playing through lines, attacking defenders etc. I tried to stay objective, as best as possible.

I thought we were the better side. I thought we got the ball forward plenty, moved the ball quicker than recent weeks, switched it well, got crosses in to the box, scored twice (that’s significant progress for us, sadly!), should’ve had at least one more.

We faded late on. Tiredness most likely… but for 75 minutes, overall, I thought we were decent (relatively speaking). Quite the reverse of the Cambridge game, where we were a complete no-show until 65mins in.

Reading were a bit lucky for the first… a mistake gave them a second… and the third was just a good hit. 3 goals flattered them. On another day, maybe only goes in. Ifs and buts, I know.

But… we were a legitimate threat for most of the game for the first time in ages. That’s a positive given that went two months looking like we wouldn’t score ever again.

Most players gave solid performances. A couple were impressive. A couple were poor. The latter hurt us. That’s standard for League 1. On another day we could have easily won that game. (Kite should’ve just booted it!)

Unfortunately, patience and good will are evaporating fast- even among the most tolerant. Again, I appreciate why, but City weren’t bad today at all. Costly mistakes- yes… but there was intent to get forward and hurt the opposition. We threw punches from the front foot.

Again- my view. Plenty disagree which is part of why it’s a great game to follow.

Can City stay up? absolutely. It’s not a done deal yet. But recruitment is key in the next 30 days, obviously.

How much a part of that GC plays a part in it remains to be seen, though…. I have say… Carlisle next is the most ‘must win’ game I think I’ve ever come across for a January fixture!

Defeat, and it could finally bring change in the dugout.
Win and it’s 7 points from 12 since Christmas, and that can be spun as reasonable form.

A draw is what I’d fear the most, to be honest.

However you see it, all views are worthy of respect, so long as they’re shared respectfully.

Happy New Year to you all.

Up The City

tom_ecfc

Get your popcorn at the ready…
IMG_1464.jpeg

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
There’s a lot of anger amongst the City faithful at the moment, and I understand why…

My feelings on the game were based on looking for signs of life… in the hope that we might- with useful additions this month- get out of this mess.

I don’t see value, at this point, in forensic analysis on every shortcoming in every player at every point… or in the manager, to be honest…

just my view… but we are where we are…. and have all known for a long time that the board don’t want to sack GC unless it becomes impossible for him to stay.

Given the expectation that the manager is staying put, I was looking for signs of improvement in forward play, playing through lines, attacking defenders etc. I tried to stay objective, as best as possible.

I thought we were the better side. I thought we got the ball forward plenty, moved the ball quicker than recent weeks, switched it well, got crosses in to the box, scored twice (that’s significant progress for us, sadly!), should’ve had at least one more.

We faded late on. Tiredness most likely… but for 75 minutes, overall, I thought we were decent (relatively speaking). Quite the reverse of the Cambridge game, where we were a complete no-show until 65mins in.

Reading were a bit lucky for the first… a mistake gave them a second… and the third was just a good hit. 3 goals flattered them. On another day, maybe only goes in. Ifs and buts, I know.

But… we were a legitimate threat for most of the game for the first time in ages. That’s a positive given that went two months looking like we wouldn’t score ever again.

Most players gave solid performances. A couple were impressive. A couple were poor. The latter hurt us. That’s standard for League 1. On another day we could have easily won that game. (Kite should’ve just booted it!)

Unfortunately, patience and good will are evaporating fast- even among the most tolerant. Again, I appreciate why, but City weren’t bad today at all. Costly mistakes- yes… but there was intent to get forward and hurt the opposition. We threw punches from the front foot.

Again- my view. Plenty disagree which is part of why it’s a great game to follow.

Can City stay up? absolutely. It’s not a done deal yet. But recruitment is key in the next 30 days, obviously.

How much a part of that GC plays a part in it remains to be seen, though…. I have say… Carlisle next is the most ‘must win’ game I think I’ve ever come across for a January fixture!

Win and it’s 7 points from 12 since Christmas, and that can be spun as reasonable form.

However you see it, all views are worthy of respect, so long as they’re shared respectfully.

Up The City
Excellent analysis. Thank you.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

Up The City
Agree with a lot of this, though I don't think theres any way we bin GC after losing on Saturday. The forms picked up a bit, he's got three good results and that buys him long enough to see if new signings can fix us, I would imagine.

Also don't think some of the criticisms of the team are nitpicking. Yawning holes in the squad. If GCs not to blame, then someone needs to be holding the buck.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Get your popcorn at the ready…
View attachment 14354
Staff should ignoring this stuff. Not a good look.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)

Up The City
Very well said Jim and hoping you are on a few more City games soon as really enjoy your commentary while watching from over here!

Status
Not open for further replies.