• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford United v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Highlights - Zak Jules, Kyle Taylor, Caleb Watts
Demi Mitchell

yticretexe

Well said!!!

2nd half we were actually quite good and were on top until the 1st penalty was given. The home crowd were turning at that point, so that was disappointing.

I agree that we didn't really have enough threat about us, but to use words like embarrassing etc is a total over reaction.

On to the next!!
We were on top because we were chasing the game and because we have no real goal threat. Teams will be happy for us to have as much of the ball as we like when they’re in front. All that second half pressure and all we mustered up were a couple of long shots. Our play is vanilla at best.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only an outlet if their team mates have confidence they'll stick the ball in the onion bag.
I don't believe it's that.We were top of the table a week ago.I think we are playing it too safe because we had players in unfamiliar roles.There are signs that it will improve.I liked the difference that Harper ,Watts and Scott made.Might have to be patient while they get up to full match fitness.

older-codger

I think before I jump off a high cliff, I will bear in mind that we are still in the playoffs and just 3 points off the top after 9 games.

Nine games gone, 16 points, with our massive injury problems and having played the top two away from home. Last season after nine games, 11 points. Mustn't overreact. I feel, when fit, the Admiral could well be the answer, as well as Aitchison being available again.

supernova

Cue Exeweb meltdown

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cue Exeweb meltdown
Is that one of those new-fangled three random word identifiers?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
No stress, we're missing the Admiral. Aitcheson, and Rankine. All key players.

Mid Devon Grecian

No stress, we're missing the Admiral. Aitcheson, and Rankine. All key players.
Niskanen was looking a decent threat as well

Gilbert

Sincere apologies, I am really not trying to wind anyone up or cause any offence but... TALK ABOUT KNEE JERK. I could pick any number of quotes...

"FFS. How many more games will we hear about bad days at the office and move on the next?" ... "Having supported City for many moons I can’t recall a time when we have been so bereft of a recognised striker " ... "Club/Trust need to get their chequebook out and bring in a free agent ASAP. I know GC has said no more signings, but surely this can be shifted - it's not working going forward."

Over the years I've seen some seriously bad City teams, watched strikers who couldn't hit a barn door. Some had pace but over ran everything, some had the turning circle of an oil tanker, others couldn't trap a bag of cement, whilst others still, played like they had biscuit tins on their feet. I've seen us apply for re-election more times than I care to remember (for the younger ones, that's when there was no automatic relegation from the football league) and when there was, we duly got relegated to the Conference. And yet here we are holding our own in L1, 6th in the table after just 9 games, having suffered an away defeat at the team currently sat in 2nd and the question is "FFS. How many more games will we hear about bad days at the office and move on the next?" Mate, I am not oblivious to the obvious problem BUT we have been spoiled. Of late, we have had plenty of good days at the office and we all know that you cannot win every game.

So, allow me to point out... we do have a recognised striker, he is not fully fit to play ay the moment (and yes I appreciate that it would be preferable to have more than one capable striker on the books and available to play). And, it may well not be working at the moment, but it is still very early days. Give the new boys a proper chance to get fully fit and bed in and some of the injured players time to come back from injury and then see whether it is working or not . I am NOT saying that you are wrong and I am NOT looking to insult anyone or argue with them. Time will tell and you may all be absolutely correct. I assure you, I do not see things through rose tinted spectacles, I am simply saying that in my opinion comments like these appear somewhat impatient to me and it is all too soon to be pronouncing doom and gloom over a season that has hardly got going. Let's see what happens shall we.