• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Burton Albion V Exeter City Official Match Day Thread

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Bridgy, I don’t think Man City is hardly a fair comparison. If they wanted extra players they would have brought them in.

I think football has gone a little soft. I started watching city when their was one sub and generally small squads with two legged league cup games, unlimited fa cup replays and awful pitches where players seemed to get on with things unless it was a serious injury. We are doing fantastically, and while I imagine we will have spells where our results dip I hope it’s because we have been beaten by the better side, not because we have a bench full of largely untried kids and no goal scorers.

if kite, Scott aitchison and diabate had been in the squad today then no problem but it’s not realistic to expect that. We now have to hope one or preferably two free agents are suitable and can be persuaded to sign (I am sure Caldwell will be doing all he can to try and achieve this) and that we are lucky with future injuries and suspensions until we can try again in January. I think we will have little choice but to go with the weakest allowable team in the papa johns( I don’t like doing that in any trophy but feel we may have little choice this season)

milts

Love how the wing backs and CBs either side of Aimson double up and Aimson sorts things centrally. Interesting Cole did actually play as the centre forward (as GC also confirmed) but his average position was slightly behind the two wide players. For info, Harper’s average position was much further back on the right and Muskwe was exactly where you’d want a CF to be.

View attachment 12624
What app is this from mate?

ryancooper327

What app is this from mate?
Sofascore

Rosencrantz

Love how the wing backs and CBs either side of Aimson double up and Aimson sorts things centrally. Interesting Cole did actually play as the centre forward (as GC also confirmed) but his average position was slightly behind the two wide players. For info, Harper’s average position was much further back on the right and Muskwe was exactly where you’d want a CF to be.

View attachment 12624
Looks very much like it did in person, a false nine with pace either side running past him. It meant we had to play more accurately and you could tell the difference with Admiral on. It still created chances though so kind of solved the immediate problem as best as it could with what was available.

tonykellowfan

Here are my thoughts on the players yesterday:

Sinisalo: immense, MOM for me and made 2 top class saves
Sweeney: very solid at CB, a bit exposed occasionally when higher up the pitch
Aimson: won pretty much everything in the air and adapted well after the first long throw went over his head and dealt with them for the rest of the match
Hartridge: very impressive, played the LCB role perfectly and also covered across to the middle to cut out danger on several occasions
Niskanen: neat and tidy without being amazing, still learning our patterns of play etc. exactly the sort of player we need in our squad
Trevitt: excellent all round game and took his goal very well, high quality player
Carroll: decent, linked up everything and very composed, him and Trevitt controlled the space in front of the back 3
Jules: I have been impressed with him so far this season, does everything asked of him, a consistent 7/10 performer each week
Rankine: bit disappointing tbh, I am not that impressed with Rankine, he runs into blind channels and loses the ball half the time
Cole: played well in a horrible role and was absolutely knackered by the end, if I have one criticism it is that he should have been subbed at 75 mins
Mitchell: class act as always, great out ball, dangerous going foward and set up Trevitt for the goal

Harper: much better than Rankine imho I think we were better for the swap, but I also got the impression he is a bit moody, seemed to have words with Cole at one point
Muskweat: a cameo at the end which showed he is probably going to be a good player for us, but not match fit yet, so much better than players like Zinzala and Philips we have had in recent times
Taylor: decent effort in the short time he was on, drew the foul for the sending off and retained the ball very well

lamrobhero

Listened to the game via ifollow home commentary. They were purring at a move early in the second half that ended in a shot by Trevitt *great rotation".

fred binneys head

Any news on the number of away fans yet? I seem to remember burton always being shiite at giving away attendances but I might be wrong.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any news on the number of away fans yet? I seem to remember burton always being shiite at giving away attendances but I might be wrong.
Pretty sure the club X'd it yesterday

Admirable avatar 👏 think I heard over 500 city fans but don’t know exact numbers…

Cygnus

Great atmosphere in the away end yesterday. The link between the fans and this team is truly special and while I’m sure there will be some tough results during the season, I think together this can be a truly special season. The football we are playing is the best since the 89/90 promotion season and I think making the playoffs is a realistic target.

With us on such a good run I wonder if the club is considering asking for next Saturday’s game to be postponed with two players away on international duty? I know it has to be three, but is there any chance of the Admiral being called up by Cameroon? If that did happen, would we then ask for it to be postponed? Part of me wants the team to keep playing, but with Kite, Scott and now Rankine injured as well, having the game postponed if we can might be the best option.