• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Vale v City Matchday Thread

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Jevani Brown was excellent again. He's fast becoming a real challenger to Dieng for player of the season.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Jevani should try his luck from outside the box more often - most goalies tend to come off their line anticipating crosses so allow the "crosslob" to be effective.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Jevani Brown was excellent again. He's fast becoming a real challenger to Dieng for player of the season.
Got to be impressed with his defensive work as well, he's a star!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Deserved point and it could have been more but for the bar, the ref and a bit of composure at the right time around the penalty area. Back three rock solid as usual even without the he experience of Sweenz with Hartridge imperious. Good reactions by Sam to get Cammy out of trouble at the end but that's what defending is about, helping your mates.

At times this season the boys battling mentality and not having a bit of "dog" about them have been questioned by some on here. I have obviously been watching a different team all season as I disagree, but tonight should put those questions to bed for a while at least.
Personally I can’t understand anyone questioning that when throughput the season we have shown real backbone, battling qualities, have toughened up not been bullied and shown we are more than capable in adopting the necessary tactics to see out games.

Philecfc

Every time I watch Sam Stubbs I see his father. If he turns out half as good as him we have a good player on our hands

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would love to have Nombe back in harness for last game of the season (v Port Vale) so he can push their centre backs around like they did to Ozzie !

Max Payne 2

Watched this one from Melbourne and thought that a draw was the right result. Though Jevani's cheeky cross-cum-shot might have crept in with a bit more luck and that soft but blatant push ought to have been a penalty - only Caprice really seemed to think so. Their player Amoo looked very quick and handy in his time as sub. With so many strikers out and Zanzala lacking the ability to do anything other than niggle defenders and give away free kicks, we need to find a way to get Jay into better positions. At the moment Jevani Brown looks very useful but is taking up a lot of positions that Jay could be in and cancelling him out a bit. Man of the match for me was Stubbs, composure, decisions and especially positioning for that last second scramble to deny Amoo a tap-in. He's this team's Shaun Taylor.

Bridgy 81

Good, battling point. Particularly with so many first choice players unavailable.
As others have said our defence was superb. Especially Stubbs and Hartridge.
There’s no way Stubbs should be playing in League 2. He’s one of the best defenders I’ve personally seen in City shirt.
Thought both Jay and Brown covered a lot of ground this evening.
Hopefully we get one or two back for Saturday. Maybe Sweeney in for Cheick, possibly Dieng and perhaps Sparkes, for his good delivery, instead of Caprice.
Fingers crossed Kite and Grounds aren’t too far away.
Not expecting to see Nombe or Taylor anytime soon though unfortunately.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got to be impressed with his defensive work as well, he's a star!
Agreed. His defensive pay was something I initially thought was non existent and early on in the season I questioned his work rate and desire. It appears I was wrong. He's so skillful and is clearly playing with freedom and confidence. Long may it continue. Brown is the new Messiah!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Every time I watch Sam Stubbs I see his father. If he turns out half as good as him we have a good player on our hands
We'll be lucky to hang on to him - hope that our trust / patience with his rehab is a factor when the offers come rolling in.
PS Great recommendation by George Friend !