• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looks like the planned cuts in local BBC output are happening. A very emotional Justin Leigh had his last appearance on Spotlight last night, it would appear that the nightly local news programmes are being cut down to one presenter, so the time served white middle aged man had to go I suppose 🙄. Harry Gration has also been axed from his local BBC presenting job up north somewhere as well.

DB9

Looks like the planned cuts in local BBC output are happening. A very emotional Justin Leigh had his last appearance on Spotlight last night, it would appear that the nightly local news programmes are being cut down to one presenter, so the time served white middle aged man had to go I suppose 🙄. Harry Gration has also been axed from his local BBC presenting job up north somewhere as well.
Don't worry Tavy, When the BBC get that younger audience they crave so much Spotlight and other regional programmes will be like a modern version of Swap Shop and Newsround.!

Banksy

Don't worry Tavy, When the BBC get that younger audience they crave so much Spotlight and other regional programmes will be like a modern version of Swap Shop and Newsround.!
Be careful what you wish for in their case.When they get that younger audience they crave it will be the beginning of the end for them. My grandchildren don’t seem to be into the BBC and get all their entertainment elsewhere from the likes of Netflix , YouTube and other streaming.

elginCity

Harry Gration from BBC Look North is a good presenter but nearing 70 now, so probably time. :)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
All I ever see is right wingers complaining that the BBC is to left wing, and left wingers complaining it's too right wing. Leads me to believe it's pretty balanced on the whole. Of course sometimes their quest for balance leads to the creation of a misleading overall picture, but that's another story.

I do find the idea that people think a Rupert Murdock channel will be balanced completely laughable. What you mean is that it will be a channel that entirely agrees with your viewpoint.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
A very emotional Justin Leigh had his last appearance on Spotlight last night
I don't watch Spotlight much, but he has always seemed a professional and popular broadcaster. I'm sure many viewers will be sad to see him go. It's the BBC's loss.

Red Devon

Really surprised popular Radio Devon Breakfast show Presenter Laura James has also left too...thought she was a class above most of the other presenters on there.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yet Lineker gets a 5 year deal, him and Zoe Ball are on a combined 3 million a year, how many local newsreaders etc would that have paid for, answer - a lot.

This is why I think the BBC is a joke.

DB9

Yet Lineker gets a 5 year deal, him and Zoe Ball are on a combined 3 million a year, how many local newsreaders etc would that have paid for, answer - a lot.

This is why I think the BBC is a joke.
I genuinely don't mind Lineker, He knows his stuff and is good as a presenter, Though I wish he'd keep the SJW thing to himself, As for Zoe Ball, Her appointment as the BBC R2 breakfast presenter has been an utter disaster, In the same mode as Jo Wiley co-hosting the drivetime show, It was an obvious box ticking exercise for the BBC and has backfired by the amount of listeners she's lost, Nothing to do with her being a woman, It's just she's not good at her job and was the same when she did the same job on R1, For me I'd love to have seen Liza Tarbuck in that job, She has a warm, Friendly, voice, A great and funny personality and unlike Ms Ball she doesn't think the world revolves around her.

Rosencrantz

I genuinely don't mind Lineker, He knows his stuff and is good as a presenter, Though I wish he'd keep the SJW thing to himself, As for Zoe Ball, Her appointment as the BBC R2 breakfast presenter has been an utter disaster, In the same mode as Jo Wiley co-hosting the drivetime show, It was an obvious box ticking exercise for the BBC and has backfired by the amount of listeners she's lost, Nothing to do with her being a woman, It's just she's not good at her job and was the same when she did the same job on R1, For me I'd love to have seen Liza Tarbuck in that job, She has a warm, Friendly, voice, A great and funny personality and unlike Ms Ball she doesn't think the world revolves around her.
If you don't like Lineker's SJW thing, avoid his Twitter account, and those media outlets who think repeating slebs Twitter and Instagram and whatever accounts passes for news. I find it pretty easy to just see him present very well on BBC and BT. He is not a news reporter, whatever his own views are are just that, why get triggered.

As for Radio 2 breakfast, I used to like Sara Cox standing in for Evans. Don't know why they switched her around.