• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it time for serious changes at the club

ex_user1234

Resigned
I have to disagree Ed although I like the positivity, passion and belief. Exeter will never be a sustainable Championship club, even with significant investment from a benefactor. We could make a brief foray into the Championship if we were very lucky yes, but we'd never stay there. The amounts of money required to just sustain in there would be ridiculous and make us unsustainable in more ways than one.

Clubs like Brentford and Bournemouth give us hope I guess but I just can't see it.
Remember that when you move up a division you also get more revenue via TV money and sponsorship deals. So it's not just a case of escalating costs, there are also escalating revenues. Of course it would be difficult - that's why we have never done it before - but is it in the realms of possibility? Yes. There are a zillion things the Club are not doing right now which could grow our revenue streams.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
So you go to games not wanting to win?
Please highlight where I said that.

geoffwp

I see you're struggling to find it. Do think before you post.

grecIAN Harris

I think you might find Ed's notion is that he goes to games to see City win. You suggest that we don't have the same attitude to City as you...……. Do you want me to keep going???

ex_user1234

Resigned
Point is most fans don't see, or want to see, ECFC as a business in that sense. It is a Community Club, with it's heart rooted in the City, proud to be a flag-waver for the City on the national stage. It doesn't exist to make money, be floated on the FTSE, pay dividends. It exists to give the people of Exeter, and those with Exeter roots who have moved away, something to support and be proud of.

And off the top of my head during the the last 20 years of Trust ownership we have / had had

- 3 Wembley visits & 2 promotions
- Management stability throughout
- An acknowledged and much admired academy programme that produces tangible results, year on year
- An improved ground fit for every level of football we've played at in our history
- A developed training ground
- Money in the bank (for now)
- Award winning match day programme and social media output
- Never to be forgotten games; Man U, Liverpool, Torquay (a), Oxford (a), Carlisle P/O, Argyle (h) x 2
- Thriving Community programme helping people of all ages across the City and East Devon
- Attendances up
- Pride in our club back

Could some decisions be made faster, yes
Could some things be better, yes
Do the pitch and tannoy still need work/investment - yes
Was Tisdale indulged and not held accountable for too long - possibly

Does the Club need 'serious changes' - no
I don't see it as a business either. I see it as a public good, like the NHS. Exeter City has always belonged to, and will always belong to, the people of Exeter. Those who run the club - be it the Trust or an owner - are merely custodians. But nearly all institutions that are well run and successful are run as businesses.

As for being proud of the club, I think the Trust have done a good job and there are many happy memories over the past 20 years. But pride for most people is about doing well at something. Look at Chiefs fans. They are on a permanent high.

geoffwp

I think you might find Ed's notion is that he goes to games to see City win. You suggest that we don't have the same attitude to City as you...……. Do you want me to keep going???
If that is all he goes to a game for then I'm not surprised he goes home disappointed more than he might like. For me it's about the whole matchday. Meeting a group of good lads at the pub for a couple of beers, the banter, the laughs, the taking apart what happened etc. More to it than those 90 minutes. I am more than happy with where the club is and those who are running it.

ex_user1234

Resigned
It was a question based on your statement that you prefer cosy bubbles to striving for success.

geoffwp

It was a question based on your statement that you prefer cosy bubbles to striving for success.
Ha ha ha. You crease me up Ed. It's a bloody game.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Ha ha ha. You crease me up Ed. It's a bloody game.
And the point of the game is to win (preferably in style).

geoffwp

I've already posted what I get out of the matchday. Getting a win is PART of it, just a part. We've done that quite a lot recently as well so no problem, nothing to massively change, nothing for anyone to need to come in and make "serious" changes even if they are desperate to do so.