• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Best City Loan XI*

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think he did...proper no nonsense centre half would be just up Matt Taylor’s street these days.
No, he's over 63 now. Would still get in Tis's team with Matt Oakley, though.

budegrecian

Tony Scully was a popular loan signing back in our conference days. Useful winger.

haka

Not sure if you lot can survive this lockdown with your anarchic attitudes ...

Cannot include any players who have signed permanently for City before or after their loan spells

Anyway, Peter Darke (played for all 3 Devon clubs).

A lot of players who I wrongly remember as being on loan were actually on short-term contracts, like Don Goodman and winger Peter Taylor (of many manager jobs).

haka

The biggest name City ever signed was Forbes Phillipson-Masters.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don’ t even think of mentioning Rowan Vine 😬
Rowan Vine : the man who avoided the penalty area like the plague

Red Devon

Rowan Vine : the man who avoided the penalty area like the plague
Probably the most unfit player I’ve ever seen in a City shirt boy was he out of shape.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gary Alexander pretty much kept us up with his 18 goals so has to be up there.

Jayden Stockley was initially on loan so I’d have those two up top!

IndoMike

Probably the most unfit player I’ve ever seen in a City shirt boy was he out of shape.
From what I saw of him he didn't seem too bothered

Tim Long

Is there a list somewhere of all the loan signings we have made.

Just to make forming an XI a bit simpler like.
Listed in red in this http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/exeter/exeter.html. Only ever had 5 keepers on loan, apparently, Len Bond (subsequently signed permanently), Lee Smelt, Matt Gregg, Oscar Jansson and Ben Hamer. Unless I'm confusing myself again because this only reflects our time as a Football League club.

Rosencrantz

Listed in red in this http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/exeter/exeter.html. Only ever had 5 keepers on loan, apparently, Len Bond (subsequently signed permanently), Lee Smelt, Matt Gregg, Oscar Jansson and Ben Hamer. Unless I'm confusing myself again because this only reflects our time as a Football League club.
Handy list for everyone. Forgot about Matt Gregg. Helps to see if they have signed permanently at any time as well. You're right that it doesn't include our Conference years though, Buckle only two spells listed and no Gary Sawyer, Marcus Martin or Tony Scully mentioned.

Last edited: