• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crewe Matchday Thread

dontpassback

We play at Walsall on Saturday and their pitch looks pretty good,so there really is no excuse for us not to attack and play on the floor,we need to sort out our crosses and we need to be more decisive

ex_user1234

Resigned
The 4-2-3-1 system made us much more solid, compact and connected tonight defence wise. Although Crewe looked dangerous going forward at times, they didn't work Ward hardly.

It became a game of territory rather like a rugby match where long kicks are traded until a mistake or challenge is made successfully. Bowman competed well and Law looked the most dangerous of our attackers.

The area where we were most disappointing though was wide. Lee Martin worked hard but on the ball was poor. Randell had a lot of the ball but did nothing with it, either running into defenders or floating a cross in for catching practice. His movement off the ball again reverted to static, especially when he came over to the left, often taking space away from Dickenson to move into without giving him an option. The only time he got away was when Taylor played him in and he got pulled/clotheslined before being tackled in the incident Manc alludes to. Obviously you cannot expect a lino to see something happening five feet away 🙄.

Matt made a mistake I think in the bench selection. Having switched formation to play two wide attacking players but have none on the bench and using Jake instead. Should have had Joel Randall who I think would have given us an extra option. His short, choppy strides and close control are made for this kind of pitch. MJ should have been on for the same reason late on, possibly for Archie and drop Law a bit deeper when it became clear that Crewe were happy with a point.

There goal was a bit unfortunate with a double deflection, one took it wide but I think it was Powell who then flicked it back on target.

Wrapping up, Dickenson man of the match for me. And the ref's nickname must surely be Daisy for the amount of fouls Porter milked out of him tonight.
Also thought Dickenson was very good. Given that teams routinely double up on Williams nowadays, there should be gaps elsewhere on the pitch for us to capitalise on, but we don't seem to take advantage of it. Matt Jay always strikes me as a player who can drift into empty spaces at the last minute, so I really don't understand why we don't play him more. Am I missing something?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The reality is that we haven't played well for quite a while. We don't seem to have any forward thrust and can't dominate teams.
We don't have the momentum you'd hope from a team pushing for promotion. And we don't have a striker to make something out of nothing.
It's not working very well. If something doesn't change we will not get a place in the autos as we still have several difficult matches and are not in good form.
So in order to avoid disappointment I'm lowering my expectations and hoping for a olay-off place, which is better than a kick up the arse.
The thing is Mike, we did play quite well tonight, and on the whole were better and created more than Crewe. We weren't perfect by any stretch but we competed well, created more chances than them and if anyone was going to win it was us. There's still 10 to play. We're in touching distance of going up automatically and its still in our hands. We're going to do it. It may come down to the last game of the season but we're going to get there.

StudentGrecian

Like MT said on Saturday, we are too reliant on Williams creating chances for us. We can all bemoan the lack of quality striker, and yes Bowman isn't a leading League Two goalscorer. But he is clearly being asked to chase these long balls down either wing, it makes it very hard for him to end up in a goalscoring position.
I think the shape is wrong, it hasn't been working for a while, if Bowman is going to be our target man then stick him in the middle of the pitch and hit him. Don't make him a dogsbody to create openings for others.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thought we shaded that. Crewe timewasted and showed no desire to win the game. Collins' shot near the end was going straight into the corner but was well saved.
Would have liked to have seen Richardson on, as he changed the game on Saturday, and yet another WTF choice to give Williams MoM.
Noisy crowd, of course it was 1200 less than Saturday but that just sifted out the plastics watching on ifollow.
Not too dispirited but we do now need a win on Saturday

Rosencrantz

Like MT said on Saturday, we are too reliant on Williams creating chances for us. We can all bemoan the lack of quality striker, and yes Bowman isn't a leading League Two goalscorer. But he is clearly being asked to chase these long balls down either wing, it makes it very hard for him to end up in a goalscoring position.
I think the shape is wrong, it hasn't been working for a while, if Bowman is going to be our target man then stick him in the middle of the pitch and hit him. Don't make him a dogsbody to create openings for others.
The thing is we have other players who can create chances but seem to go to Williams out of habit. Even when Sparkes was playing who is the best crosser of the ball at the club, we tended to favour Williams too much. Now we are almost always going to him. Time for the other players to take more responsibility in creating maybe as it is becoming very predictable. And tonight when things are not really happening for Williams it is ineffective.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Thought we shaded that. Crewe timewasted and showed no desire to win the game. Collins' shot near the end was going straight into the corner but was well saved.
Would have liked to have seen Richardson on, as he changed the game on Saturday, and yet another WTF choice to give Williams MoM.
Noisy crowd, of course it was 1200 less than Saturday but that just sifted out the plastics watching on ifollow.
Not too dispirited but we do now need a win on Saturday
I think you mean "loyal City fans" watching on iFollow.

supernova

We could do with another Dickenson and one less Sweeney if you ask me

geoffwp

I think you mean "loyal City fans" watching on iFollow.
Yes, and those who would find 2 games in a week too expensive and those who work early on Wednesday, or are child minding or any of a lot of other perfectly understandable reasons why they couldn't attend tonight.

I would be interested to hear Matt Taylors interview after the match. He seemed to be far from happy with the decisions being made according to the radio.
Mr Swabey-another example of a Devon based referee; under pressure no doubt to give every 50/50 decision to the away side so that he can't be accused of being a "homer".
I thought he was p-poor tonight.