• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crawley Town Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
What about playing Matt Jay up front instead of Ajose? That way both Law and Jay can be in the same team.
Is Matt Jay a striker these days? Probably not. Moreover, you're taking him away from where he has been effective this season and not solving the problem of putting the ball in the back of the net. What are you looking to achieve by putting him there? It's going back to square pegs in round holes of the Tisdale days. We've had our fill of that playing Lee Martin up front for half the season. You need to work out how to get service into our strikers. There's no point taking one out to play the player who's going to give him the service only for said striker not to be in the side anyway.

manc grecian

I think looking at how the Crawley defender goes down makes it clear that he made contact, so it should have been a pen.
Have to say that on the day I didn’t think it was a pen from my view on the bank though.
The defender walked off extremely sheepishly. Usually if it's a dive there's a lot of verbals

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is Matt Jay a striker these days? Probably not. Moreover, you're taking him away from where he has been effective this season and not solving the problem of putting the ball in the back of the net. What are you looking to achieve by putting him there? It's going back to square pegs in round holes of the Tisdale days. We've had our fill of that playing Lee Martin up front for half the season. You need to work out how to get service into our strikers. There's no point taking one out to play the player who's going to give him the service only for said striker not to be in the side anyway.
I'm just looking at ways of getting Ajose out the side. MJ can play as a striker, and he'd certainly give more effort and make a nuisance of himself compared to Ajose. It was like playing with 10 men on Saturday.

grecIAN Harris

I'm just looking at ways of getting Ajose out the side. MJ can play as a striker, and he'd certainly give more effort and make a nuisance of himself compared to Ajose. It was like playing with 10 men on Saturday.
A striker is only as good as the service he gets. If he doesn't get any then he is going to be non existent in the game.

IndoMike

The problem isn't Ajose. The problem is either the system - playing 2 strikers - or Ajose's mate, who has yet to provide one single assist this season.

Alistair20000

I think looking at how the Crawley defender goes down makes it clear that he made contact, so it should have been a pen.
Have to say that on the day I didn’t think it was a pen from my view on the bank though.
Did matey get something on the ball before Randell went down ? Would like to see the incident from the BB

IndoMike

Did matey get something on the ball before Randell went down ? Would like to see the incident from the BB
I'm not sure if matey got something on the ball or if Williams moved the ball to.the left with his left foot and matey slid through him. The direction of the ball is often a sign and that tends to support the defender in this case .
For me it wasn't a stone cold penalty judging purely from the images, so not surprised the ref didn't get it

Alistair20000

I'm not sure if matey got something on the ball or if Williams moved the ball to.the left with his left foot and matey slid through him. The direction of the ball is often a sign and that tends to support the defender in this case .
For me it wasn't a stone cold penalty judging purely from the images, so not surprised the ref didn't get it
From those images I agree by no means nailed on.

PeteUSA

From those images I agree by no means nailed on.

Where are you finding "the images" of this blatent penalty incident?

Alistair20000

Where are you finding "the images" of this blatent penalty incident?
See the video in post 261 above