• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goalkeepers

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
One right up the guru's street and straight into his arms, only for it to slip through, but, why do the FA bother with trying to regulate goalkeepers. They are the protected species in the penalty box and also flout the rules without punishment. Three gripes that I have which are not being rigoursly picked up are.

1. Time that they hold the ball - 6 seconds, really, when was the last time we saw an indirect free kick given for a goalkeeper holding the ball. As part of their 'game management' they fall on it as our Northampton buddy did near the end on saturday, lie down for a few seconds, get up walk around the penalty area and then hoof the ball up having killed minimum of 15 seconds if not more, never any urgency when they are winning. Nothing is ever done y referees who are generally trotting back to the centre circle to catch their breath, no cautions or warnings, so why bother with the law if it isn't going to be enforced

2.Full use of the penalty Box (and more?). In teams like Northampton the goalkeeper is an important participant with regards to setting up attacks and hoofing the ball into the oppositions halves. Although difficult to judge from where we were, on a number of occasions he did look to fully utilise the 18 yard box and more, handling the ball outside the penalty box just before hoofing it up field, another offence which is invariably being overlooked by the officials as they puff their ways back up field to try and mess up an offside decision.

3.Blatant time wasting by Goalkeepers at Goal-kicks (and players for throw ins and corners). How many times have we seen a team leading by the odd goal and the ball goes out for a goal-kick, only for the Goalkeeper to run up and berate one of his colleagues, or praise whatever to waste time and slow the flow of the game, the **** on Saturday was a master of this, as well as slowly walking to the furthest side of the six yard box to eat away at valuable seconds. In this modern age of VAR, and game Management, where spectators are paying large amounts of money for 90 minutes of football, surely it is possible to stop the clock (as they do in the multi million $ sport of basketball) either by fourth official or other party to ensure that these opportunities aren't exploited, and so that each match if 90 minutes of football instead of 70.

Whilst griping initially about goalkeepers but again Saturday highlighted another failing of modern referees that of discerning between an injury that can be treated on the pitch and one that can't. Apparently if a player is booked or red carded from the incident then treatment can occur on the pitch. However if a player is otherwise injured he needs to go off the pitch and play resume only returning once the referee indicates. How many times are we seeing that with all the game management around.

Referees need to grow a pair and start to adhere to the letter of the law, be it six seconds, or injuries, then perhaps coaches will concentrate less on game management and perhaps more on entertaining their audience.

Gripe over, and sorry to the Northampton keeper it's not just him but Saturday was a frustrating day having travelled all that way to see the lack of cohesion by our boys and blatant game management from the off (because of the early goal).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
1. Yes. I'm often one to start counting the seconds out loud when the keeper is taking the pee.
2. I didn't notice anything like this, but there was an incident in the EFL Trophy match where the Portsmouth keeper retrieved the ball from well outside his box (to the side).
3. Yes. On a couple of occasions on Saturday I reminded the Northampton keeper that he hadn't yet broken off from taking a goal kick to kick some imaginary mud off his boot using the goalpost.

Legohead

Banned
Interesting post and I take your points on all 3.

On point 1 and point 3 I hold the view that whilst i do agree that refs should have some balls and show yellow cards more often, it's EVERY goalkeeper that time wastes. We can't be holier than thou as fans berating other keepers when our keepers also do it and when they do we conveniently find it ok because it means usually that we are winning. Football fans are so myopic when it comes to things like this.

I do agree though that refs are weak. Really weak.

On point 2 I did do my own experiment with this idea as I like you all too often was convinced that keepers were releasing the ball out of their hands late and when outside the box when taking a goal kick out of their hands. I paused lots of video clips at the point where the keepers reached the edge of the box and they all released the ball inside the area. Although it does look in real time like they have taken a few steps more and then let the ball out of their hands to kick. Try it and you'll see. It's a trick of the eye.

Legohead

Banned
1. Yes. I'm often one to start counting the seconds out loud when the keeper is taking the pee.
2. I didn't notice anything like this, but there was an incident in the EFL Trophy match where the Portsmouth keeper retrieved the ball from well outside his box (to the side).
3. Yes. On a couple of occasions on Saturday I reminded the Northampton keeper that he hadn't yet broken off from taking a goal kick to kick some imaginary mud off his boot using the goalpost.
Haha yes. I did hear a bloke shout that about cleaning his boots on the post. I take it you were sat in the 2nd block of seating nearest the main cobblers stand.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Haha yes. I did hear a bloke shout that about cleaning his boots on the post. I take it you were sat in the 2nd block of seating nearest the main cobblers stand.
Down near the front in a big brown coat and a black away shirt from a few seasons back? Yep, that would have been me.

Legohead

Banned
I must admit the timewasting by them on Saturday was very frustrating. Ordinarily though I don't mind. All teams do it. Their number 8 though did take the p**s and it's when players go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OTT with it like he did that does annoy me. I don't mind subtle timewasting here and there because I accept that we do it too.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I must admit the timewasting by them on Saturday was very frustrating. Ordinarily though I don't mind. All teams do it. Their number 8 though did take the p**s and it's when players go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OTT with it like he did that does annoy me. I don't mind subtle timewasting here and there because I accept that we do it too.
I think the 8 going down early in the 2nd half was the main reason we ended up losing - we were all over them, and his "injury" broke up the play massively, giving them a breather and stopping our momentum.

Apparently his "injury" was to his head. It must have been such a bad head injury as it stopped his legs working when he was walking off the pitch on three separate occasions.

When the keeper did his theatrical belly-flop near the end I may have initially berated him, then remembered that had we been leading and our keeper did something so audacious, we'd have cheered.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
When the keeper did his theatrical belly-flop near the end I may have initially berated him, then remembered that had we been leading and our keeper did something so audacious, we'd have cheered.
That was the point I was referring to very over dramatic and takes so long to get back up as well.

I fully appreciate that if the boot was on the other foot then I would have been more accepting of the behaviour on Saturday, I still don't happen to like it, but it is only because referees are so weak in adhering the rules that coaches are encouraging players to exploit the 'game management' or should we say 'delay management'. If bookings started to mount up and players got suspended because of it then it would be interesting to see how it was promoted.

Intersting your findings LH on the release be interesting (not) if VAR were involved :ROFLMAO:

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
All very good points. The ref has it within his (or her) powers to book players for deliberate time wasting and its frustrating when they seldom do. At the ned of the day, football is entertainment and us poor punters are not being entertained when sides deliberately time waste.

The other thing I never understand is why defenders are allowed to use their bodies to shield the ball out for a goal kick. Surely that's obstruction.....

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The other thing I never understand is why defenders are allowed to use their bodies to shield the ball out for a goal kick. Surely that's obstruction.....
Covered by law 12 and like the other points raised is ignored by referees, why do FIFA and the FA bother to write rules if they are not enforced. However I believe our Goalkeeping and refereeing Guru should be waking shortly and will no doubt enlighten us.