• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Disbanded

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the cold light of day this whole episode is still ridiculous bordering on hilarious.

Legohead

Banned
I see that Mönchengladbach was used as an example of ultras who have disbanded after their main banner was stolen. I believe they carried on till the end of the season afterwards.
Any chance lads? We don’t want to lose the atmosphere you boys create for what is looking like a very important run in.
I'm with you there but can other fans sing too instead of expecting others to create noise? I guarantee that nobody will sound as bad as Olly Murs so don't worry about being embarrassed.

continentalgrecian

It's a good thing this has happended, and not too soon, and I sincerely hope the ultra scourge won't raise its ugly head again in a new incarnation. We don't need any of this insane ultra sh*t that's going on in Italy and other places on the continent. I deeply resent the ultra sense of entitlement, their inherent claim to be bigger than their club, their attitude towards players that don't "respect" them, etc. All of this needs to be stamped out, extinguished and crushed in its infancy before English football and fandom suffer an Italian fate. In fact I think the club should move to outright ban any organised ultra "fans" from their premises. Now is the time to act, strike once and strike hard.

i8cornwall

It's a good thing this has happended, and not too soon, and I sincerely hope the ultra scourge won't raise its ugly head again in a new incarnation. We don't need any of this insane ultra sh*t that's going on in Italy and other places on the continent. I deeply resent the ultra sense of entitlement, their inherent claim to be bigger than their club, their attitude towards players that don't "respect" them, etc. All of this needs to be stamped out, extinguished and crushed in its infancy before English football and fandom suffer an Italian fate. In fact I think the club should move to outright ban any organised ultra "fans" from their premises. Now is the time to act, strike once and strike hard.
Good Morning the Daily Mail, are you ok on this Sunday morning?

older-codger

Will the "Red Legion" painted area on the bank now be painted out with grey?

i8cornwall

I see that Mönchengladbach was used as an example of ultras who have disbanded after their main banner was stolen. I believe they carried on till the end of the season afterwards.
Any chance lads? We don’t want to lose the atmosphere you boys create for what is looking like a very important run in.
I get what you’re saying but the risk is we carry on till the end of the season and we don’t stop.

We took the route the Koln took of disbanding straight away, myself and others wanted the group to be run properly and by the rules followed by groups all over the world. There is a large number of groups in this country who shall we say are “fake” in there attitudes to the scene.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shame, you guys created a great, positive atmosphere, I hope it will continue without the ultra title/banner.

I no nothing about the ‘code’, however surely it only counts if they physically take it from you during the game etc, not under the cover of darkness the night before with no challenge, bunch of snidey c****.

its the same as punching someone from behind, against unwritten rules.

No need for the melodrama - you're footy fans, not Samuri!

Would be a real shame to lose that fantastic atmosphere because some toerags nicked a banner.

I'd be happy to chip in for a new one that can be taken down after every game.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
This thread is absolutely hilarious.

CityTillIDie

I get what you’re saying but the risk is we carry on till the end of the season and we don’t stop.

We took the route the Koln took of disbanding straight away, myself and others wanted the group to be run properly and by the rules followed by groups all over the world. There is a large number of groups in this country who shall we say are “fake” in there attitudes to the scene.
Then continue with a new name, move to the centre/ behind the goal. Put the new banner in front of you on the second rail up before each game and it’s a whole new thing whilst not losing anything u have worked for.

Legohead

Banned
UK football does not have the culture of ultras that the rest of Europe does and therfore I can see why many are poking fun at the RL for what they see as a 'melodrama'.

For example, I went to Accrington once about 10 years ago and they had about 6 lads at the back of their stand with a drum and a flag saying Stanley Ultras.

To me I found that hilarious. In no way can a handful of lads from Accrington who claim to be ultras be compared to ultras of another side with similar fanbases around Europe.

Even in Iceland they get similar crowds and they have ultras.

The rest of Europe is different in culture to British football imo and this is why I think it's difficult to understand and appreciate what the lads on here are telling them. Because all they see are a bunch of lads with some flags and drums trying to make an atmosphere and not some ultras organization that behind the scenes operate within those unwritten ultras codes if you like.

I think it's important to see both sides here.

Personally speaking I find a group of people wanting to organized and mobilized with banners, flags and drums etc to be a massive positive for small clubs like ours.

On the ultras thing though I've always thought of ultras like the ones in Europe as being linked to football disorder and containing people who despite being adults have difficulty in behaving responsibly. I also find the machismo of it all extremely tiresome and embarrassing.

Those Col U fans posting a photo of themselves with the stolen flag for example. We got your flag! Ner Ner! It's highly immature. I'd have more respect for them probably if they just nicked it and left it at that. It's the taunting on social media about it that makes these people not ultras but just immature fans posting rubbish on social media. It's the motivation to post it on social media that is the main agenda for them and not actually the act of stealing the flag. Therefore they cannot be taken seriously based on this.

those groups whose priorities are not simply supporting the side, getting others involved and making the ground a vibrant and fun place to be on a match day that have no place in the game.

Last edited: