• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, if only for his bold claim that the UK is the "most tolerant and lovely country in Europe". Our Jase loves a baseless bold claim !
I won't go there

tavyred

Yes, if only for his bold claim that the UK is the "most tolerant and lovely country in Europe". Our Jase loves a baseless bold claim !
A claim that not’s too far off the mark to be fair. That’ll obviously irritate the ‘progressives’ on here as we all know, a positive narrative about the U.K. is like hemlock to them.
Good to see however the positive reaction to Foxy’s appearance, it being described as part of a wider backlash against the ‘woke’ culture thats become too prevalent to most people’s tastes.

DB9

A claim that not’s too far off the mark to be fair. That’ll obviously irritate the ‘progressives’ on here as we all know, a positive narrative about the U.K. is like hemlock to them.
Good to see however the positive reaction to Foxy’s appearance, it being described as part of a wider backlash against the ‘woke’ culture thats become too prevalent to most people’s tastes.
Don't think this "Woke" thing is too prevalent, It's the fact that those who shout the most have access to the media, Actors at awards ceremonies, Musicians online, TV, Especially GMB, They are just so "Luvvie" Us mere mortals don't give a crap TBH we're just trying to do what's best to feed our families and get on with life.

IndoMike

Just to make it clear Tavy, I always thought that England was a very tolerant country which compared favourably with many others. As is happening around the world, the degree of tolerance seems to be decreasing. Populism likes scapegoats.
About England being a lovely country, like any other country it has its lovely bits and not so lovely bits. And like most countries, most of the people are nice and friendly .
But for a poster to say it is the MOST tolerant and MOST lovely is a slight exaggeration.
If the UK was Devon,I'd probably agree (excluding Plymouth, of course).
I love England, me, but thank God England generally creates people who are free to express their views without fear. That's one of the best things - freedom of speech. We can criticise the decisions made by our Govt in the hope that they will make things better.
To have a sycophantic attitude towards the Govt, to justify their mistakes and failed policies, and to not demand accountability, is anti-British in my opinion
Let's hope the bully boys never take that away from us.

Last edited:

tavyred

I think what we are witnessing Mike is that the lazy rhetoric of the liberal left has been rumbled and to quote a rather famous film quote, people are not going to take it anymore. The kick back from Lawrence Fox specifically and the QT audience generally when the term 'white privilege' was deployed against him, was an example of that new refusal to kow-tow to rhetoric designed to shut down the argument rather than engage in sensible debate.
As I said yesterday the whole QT programme aired on Thursday night, is an interesting study on where we are in the UK as regards public discourse.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think what we are witnessing Mike is that the lazy rhetoric of the liberal left has been rumbled and to quote a rather famous film quote, people are not going to take it anymore. The kick back from Lawrence Fox specifically and the QT audience generally when the term 'white privilege' was deployed against him, was an example of that new refusal to kow-tow to rhetoric designed to shut down the argument rather than engage in sensible debate.
As I said yesterday the whole QT programme aired on Thursday night, is an interesting study on where we are in the UK as regards public discourse.
Not surprising Lawrence Fox has things to say about privilege, given how he became an actor.

If you think the term "white privilege" stifles debate you're obviously only hearing it from right-wing outlets dismissing it (exactly the same as woke, SJW, identity politics and all the other nonsensical terms of the day you like to roll out to, um, stifle debate). The entire point of it is to encourage debate by considering that there might be a lived experience outside your cosy white world that you know nothing about and that maybe you should listen to people who do.

IndoMike

What on earth has your reply got to do with my post? Here it is again.

"Just to make it clear Tavy, I always thought that England was a very tolerant country which compared favourably with many others. As is happening around the world, the degree of tolerance seems to be decreasing. Populism likes scapegoats.
About England being a lovely country, like any other country it has its lovely bits and not so lovely bits. And like most countries, most of the people are nice and friendly .
But for a poster to say it is the MOST tolerant and MOST lovely is a slight exaggeration.
If the UK was Devon,I'd probably agree (excluding Plymouth, of course).
I love England, me, but thank God England generally creates people who are free to express their views without fear. That's one of the best things - freedom of speech. We can criticise the decisions made by our Govt in the hope that they will make things better.
To have a sycophantic attitude towards the Govt, to justify their mistakes and failed policies, and to not demand accountability, is anti-British in my opinion
Let's hope the bully boys never take that away from us."

Last edited: Today at 7:49 AM

tavyred

Not surprising Lawrence Fox has things to say about privilege, given how he became an actor.

If you think the term "white privilege" stifles debate you're obviously only hearing it from right-wing outlets dismissing it (exactly the same as woke, SJW, identity politics and all the other nonsensical terms of the day you like to roll out to, um, stifle debate). The entire point of it is to encourage debate by considering that there might be a lived experience outside your cosy white world that you know nothing about and that maybe you should listen to people who do.
So because I’m white, by default my world is cosy.
You unwittingly make my point. Thank you.

elginCity

So because I’m white, by default my world is cosy.
You unwittingly make my point. Thank you.
Remember Harry’s public statement 3 years ago citing ‘overt racism’ and ‘racial undertones’ in the MSM towards his girlfriend at that time, now wife and mother of his child. It was a warning shot to the press not heeded. Incredible to think that as THE white privileged male he’s been able to clearly recognise something that the likes of Tavares and ‘Foxy’ are unable, or unwilling, to acknowledge. Sad.

IndoMike

Javid once said the UK’s best economic place was to remain in the EU and the single market. In May 2016, a month before the referendum he said the only thing guaranteed about leaving the bloc was a decade of “stagnation and doubt”.
“Just like the Bank of England governor, Mark Carney, and IMF head Christine Lagarde, I still believe that Britain is better off in. And that’s all because of the single market.......

Seems like blind ambition got the better of him.

Last edited: