• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

Albumen

He's in North London. Needless to say the quality of the kids we come up against is unbelievably good. There are a couple in his current team that could, if planets align, go all the way.

One of his ex-team mates joined Arsenal youth and it was interesting to get his dad's take on the whole thing. It sounded brutal and they took him out before he was 8. He then joined Barnet and although the quality wasn't quite as red hot, the regime was almost as ridiculous (training 3 times a week + match on Sundays) and so he was taken out of there too after 3 months. At least he got in the team; our kid had a trial there which cost us £40 (!) but didn't get the gig (no reason given). One of their team mates got signed by Man Utd, so the 8 year old and all his family moved up to Manchester over the summer!

Another of my son's ex-team mates just got snapped up by Ridgeway Rovers (David Beckham's & Harry Kane's old team in Chingford) and that all sounds more sensible, so we might try out for them next season. In short we've been advised to stay away from the Academy system for now as it's as I described
previously

I’m just north if north London and my boys have just started out. I’ve already witnessed the intensity of the parents and kids. It’s too much.

Good advice. Hopefully my boys are good enough to use it. Haha.

Amazon have already delivered that book. I’m totally in.

Good luck.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m just north if north London and my boys have just started out. I’ve already witnessed the intensity of the parents and kids. It’s too much.

Good advice. Hopefully my boys are good enough to use it. Haha.

Amazon have already delivered that book. I’m totally in.

Good luck.
We are in outer North London and he currently plays in the Watford (not so) Friendly League which is quite expansive.

Maybe we'll play you at some point, lol.

ryancooper327

Apologies if this had been posted anywhere. A good (but depressing) read.

Mr Jinx

Depressing indeed. Top clubs like Chelsea, Liverpool et al go out of their way to effectively steal lower club talent right before they need to cough up for it. Like they're short of a few bob. They take this talent (like Ampadu) don't give them first team starts (due to foreign players) then ship them out somewhere else before they get peed off and move club again anyway.

Matt Taylor is right. What is the point of having an academy in L2 or lower unless they change the rules? The top clubs are sucking the life out of the grass roots.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

I am as keen as anyone to see us receive more compensation for our players but I do wonder whether we are over-stating our case and we are really going to start seeing a flood of players leave at 16 before they've had the chance to play regularly for the first team.

StudentGrecian

Problem is they don’t even have to be world beaters to leave us before signing pro deals.
Because we have this reputation of bringing through talented players, championship sides can pick off players they hope to further develop and sell for big money. Or even if they don’t make the big time, if they become Championship/League One squad player that’s still worth more the 100k or so they’d pay us.
When Goss left for 100k it felt like Man Utd had taken a bit of a gamble and didn’t feel like we were robbed. But now young talent go for so much money, it’s not a gamble for clubs to pick off our best players at 16, it’s just smart business because it’s bound to be worth it.

ryancooper327

Without trying to derail the thread and maybe a simple answer but how do we climb the category levels?

I found this:

The EPPP academy system is based around an independent audit process, where clubs are assessed and categories and given a status of 1 to 4, with 1 being the highest status. The club clubs are assessed on different key areas including:
  • Productivity rates
  • Training facilities
  • Coaching
  • Education
  • Welfare Provisions
Then giving a grading appropriately.The EPPP will ensure that more money is invested by the FA and Premier League into English Youth Development, with a tiered approached of invested available across the football academy categories. This approach means that category one academies will receive more funding than category two and so on.

So are there realistic ways of us becoming a higher category in the near future? It seems CAT 1/2 are reserved (of course) for Prem and Championship clubs (with the odd L1 thrown in).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I believe upgrading to Category 2 is one of the long-term aims of the club. Of course it would need to strike a balance in terms of cost-effectiveness.

Colesman Ballz

Without trying to derail the thread and maybe a simple answer but how do we climb the category levels?

I found this:

The EPPP academy system is based around an independent audit process, where clubs are assessed and categories and given a status of 1 to 4, with 1 being the highest status. The club clubs are assessed on different key areas including:
  • Productivity rates
  • Training facilities
  • Coaching
  • Education
  • Welfare Provisions
Then giving a grading appropriately.The EPPP will ensure that more money is invested by the FA and Premier League into English Youth Development, with a tiered approached of invested available across the football academy categories. This approach means that category one academies will receive more funding than category two and so on.

So are there realistic ways of us becoming a higher category in the near future? It seems CAT 1/2 are reserved (of course) for Prem and Championship clubs (with the odd L1 thrown in).
When we were last assessed I believe we were found to meet Cat 2 standards apart from two main areas. 1)You are required to have an indoor/covered pitch of a minimum of half full size. 2) We do not have the required minimum number of staff. Certainly the Club is aiming to achieve Cat 2 status, and has been looking at the options to provide the covered pitch.

ryancooper327

Also, maybe just coincedence. Ben had been on our first time site all season but has now been removed. https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/ (clearly not completely up to date with Visser and Tillson shown and Warren not on loan.)