• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2020

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I know, it's not for a few months yet, but...

Had a WhatsApp message from our Chairman this morning generally enquiring as to how I was and whether I was looking forward to the new season. I knew what was coming next - the Chairman doesn't just enquire socially and we have the AGM in a couple of weeks.

Sure enough, the follow up mentioned that our 3s captain and VC have stood down (the former due to work and family commitments, the latter due to retiring from playing league Cricket), and would I mind awfully considering myself for skippering the 3s?

I replied that I'd be happier doing a VC role but would do it if need be. Because I have mug tattooed on my forehead.

Last season of course I spent the entire season in the 2s (albeit with only one real innings of note) and ended up nominally VC of the 2s, captaining the side on three occasions. The 3s is probably more a natural home for me, shame it means playing on either back pitches or park pitches rather than the main square at grounds.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I’ve been retiring for the last 3-4 seasons and still haven’t committed to this season yet but time will tell.....

With 435 wickets for the club and over 450
Maidens id like to get 500 on both but that’s probably means committing for another 2-3 years

Alistair20000

I’ve been retiring for the last 3-4 seasons and still haven’t committed to this season yet but time will tell.....

With 435 wickets for the club and over 450
Maidens id like to get 500 on both but that’s probably means committing for another 2-3 years
I bet you will be playing.

CREDYGRECIAN

I bet you will be playing.
😀 it’s a bit of a drug to be honest.....but my body the next day after 10 overs now of bowling isn’t great....the stiffness in my shoulder and knees after bowling nearly 3000 overs according to the club website has began to take its toll

Alistair20000

😀 it’s a bit of a drug to be honest.....but my body the next day after 10 overs now of bowling isn’t great....the stiffness in my shoulder and knees after bowling nearly 3000 overs according to the club website has began to take its toll
You are Jimmy Anderson and I claim my £5.:)

Was it swing or seam you bowl ?

CREDYGRECIAN

You are Jimmy Anderson and I claim my £5.:)

Was it swing or seam you bowl ?
Bit of both - tend to swing it away more often than not.

Alistair20000

Bit of both - tend to swing it away more often than not.
Valuable skills as long as your keepers, slips and gullies can hold the edges.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Valuable skills as long as your keepers, slips and gullies can hold the edges.
The bane of my life when I used to open the bowling with my devilish away swing before I got the yips. We had a lad about the same age as me but who was so immobile we had to stick him in the slips. He could catch the ball if it was straight to him at waist-high or above, but anything else - no chance. On one occasion playing at Eastcote the opener must have nicked past him about 8 times. At drinks he asked why I didn't have someone who could catch at slip. Basically that would have been me, then.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
We had a lad about the same age as me but who was so immobile we had to stick him in the slips.
Reminds me of the time I was struggling with Achilles tendon trouble. One Sunday we were short, and the skipper was a persuasive man..............Despite my objections ("Look, I can't run!") I found myself in the team. I was a fixture at first slip, and batted with a runner. We were all out for 68, but still won!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Reminds me of the time I was struggling with Achilles tendon trouble. One Sunday we were short, and the skipper was a persuasive man..............Despite my objections ("Look, I can't run!") I found myself in the team. I was a fixture at first slip, and batted with a runner. We were all out for 68, but still won!
Two seasons ago when our 2s were a "club within a club" and I ended up playing in the side pretty much as the "token white" due to being a nice sort who played where he was told to play, my dodgy knee had flared up when I was pressed into keeping action during the heatwave. I made it clear the following week that I shouldn't be playing as I could barely walk but would do so if absolutely necessary. The Chairman (who flounced from the club at the end of the season) said I was needed as we were struggling to get sides out.

It then turned out that one of our better players was sitting at home doing nothing that day - promoted to the 1s, he said he needed to be in the 2s as he was the lift to the ground for some of the team, so the Chairman withdrew him from selection. I hobbled around as we were thrashed, and I immediately declared myself unfit for the following week. The 2s skipper, seeing how much pain I was in and with the other player banned that week, said the next time he saw the Chairman he'd probably punch his lights out.