• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimsby Town - Sat 18th Jan

Legohead

Banned
Anyone else up for this? I'd expect a decent number of northern based Grecians to be in attendance. Grimsby isn't the most endearing place to be visiting on a cold, January afternoon but you have to take the rough with the smooth in football. :p I'd imagine given the location and with it being a few weeks after Christmas that we could struggle to take 250 ish maybe? Not sure.

Les might know which entrance we go in as away fans. I've always gone into the away end via the turnstiles at the front of the ground where the main offices and car park are but i was in Cleggy last year for the day out and decided last minute to go to the game and in the Yeovil end. I walked from the amusement arcades at the sea front down the back of the houses on the sea wall, over the railway footbridge and then all the way up Neville Street and round to the front of the ground only to be told when i got there that away fans now enter the ground from where i had just come from round the back of BP near that pedestrian railway bridge on Harrington Street. So which entrance are we using this season Les?

Looking forward to the shortish trip across and hopefully seeing a thumping Grecians victory.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Clap clap from me.

Legohead

Banned
Ollie got his first win today in his first match in charge of the codheads. I hope this isn't the start of an upturn in fortunes for the mariners. Typically we are due at Blundell Park in a few weeks.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ollie got his first win today in his first match in charge of the codheads. I hope this isn't the start of an upturn in fortunes for the mariners. Typically we are due at Blundell Park in a few weeks.
Aye...Sods Law.

les.gtfc

Anyone else up for this? I'd expect a decent number of northern based Grecians to be in attendance. Grimsby isn't the most endearing place to be visiting on a cold, January afternoon but you have to take the rough with the smooth in football. :p I'd imagine given the location and with it being a few weeks after Christmas that we could struggle to take 250 ish maybe? Not sure.

Les might know which entrance we go in as away fans. I've always gone into the away end via the turnstiles at the front of the ground where the main offices and car park are but i was in Cleggy last year for the day out and decided last minute to go to the game and in the Yeovil end. I walked from the amusement arcades at the sea front down the back of the houses on the sea wall, over the railway footbridge and then all the way up Neville Street and round to the front of the ground only to be told when i got there that away fans now enter the ground from where i had just come from round the back of BP near that pedestrian railway bridge on Harrington Street. So which entrance are we using this season Les?

Looking forward to the shortish trip across and hopefully seeing a thumping Grecians victory.
To be fair I'm not 100% sure which entrance away fans use as I never go past that part of the ground. I thought it would be ticket office side of the ground but don't take that as read. Also there were talk a while back of closing down Fuller Street railway bridge either for renovation or even for good so I would say your best bet to get to the ground from Cleethorpes would be to walk down the main Grimsby Road anyway and that will bring you to the ticket office side of the ground.

I met Ian Holloway yesterday as he did a tour of the bars in the ground pre-match and I shook his hand and wished him luck. He's certainly an infectious character and can certainly talk the talk. Here's hoping that he can walk the walk though and bring some long overdue success to the club. Definitely some exciting times ahead with Ollie at the helm now.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
I think Ollie has raised the profile of the club and the town which had gotten lost somewhat I feel since promotion back to the football league.

Losing at home to the scunts didn't help. ;)

Oldsmobile-88

Unfortunately can’t see you & Baz for our customary pre match drink in The Colosseum,Les...Can’t do this trip..Dave is still going & staying over..Find a curry house for him.

Oldsmobile-88

Hoping for a reverse of the result at SJP in September.
Pic from pre match in St Anne’s Well.Exeter.
Looks like Last of the Summer Wine cast 😁
Baz at back,
Les’s brother(L)& Les(R)2E17E95B-755C-4111-9AD7-061EEC987D0C.jpeg
Me,
Dave G at the front.

les.gtfc

Unfortunately can’t see you & Baz for our customary pre match drink in The Colosseum,Les...Can’t do this trip..Dave is still going & staying over..Find a curry house for him.
A shame that Russ. Dave is staying over at the Grimsby Wetherspoons so I've already arranged to meet him in there for a couple of pre-match beers then taking hm out to see the delights of Grimsby in the evening, including 2 real ale taphouses, which I'm sure Dave will enjoy.

PS. I look like I've got no teeth in that picture. :)

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Tickets are up on the ticket portal site now. Just got mine. Not been to a game since Bradford so been getting twitchy for footy.