• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier league 2018/19

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one of the stupid new rules was that if a penalty was saved the ball was immediately dead. If so, why did Jamie Vardy get to retake his penalty after James Madison got done for encroachment when nodding in the rebound?
The current rule states "The penalty kick is completed when the ball stops moving, goes out of play or the referee stops play for any offence."
So, normally, a penalty kick would be completed when the ref stopped play.

However ...
If, before the ball is in play ...
the player taking the penalty kick or a team-mate infringes the Laws of the Game:
... If the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken

grecIAN Harris

So nothing has changed and all is as per it always was. I'm sure I read different before the season started.

Legohead

Banned
Can anyone explain the rules in this scenario?

Watford v Burnley. Ashley Barnes was kicked in the Watford area and went down and the ref played on with Barnes screaming for the penalty. Watford broke away and got a corner. Just before the corner could be taken the play got taken back down the other end when VAR intervened and awarded Burnley a penalty for the earlier kick on Barnes which was missed by the ref.

What would have happened if, on the Watford break away they had scored?

I'm amazed we haven't yet had a scenario where a goal has been scored whilst another VAR incident is still being looked into as play has continued. Another can of worms but I can see it coming soon.

grecIAN Harris

Watford v Burnley. Ashley Barnes was kicked in the Watford area and went down and the ref played on with Barnes screaming for the penalty. Watford broke away and got a corner. Just before the corner could be taken the play got taken back down the other end when VAR intervened and awarded Burnley a penalty for the earlier kick on Barnes which was missed by the ref.

I'm amazed we haven't yet had a scenario where a goal has been scored whilst another VAR incident is still being looked into as play has continued. Another can of worms but I can see it coming soon.
Very simple. Watford goal gets disallowed, Burnley get a penalty. All hell will let lose among the Watford fans. Burnley take the penalty and Foster saves it and all hell will break lose again. The rest of the game will be until the final when all hell will let lose again soon to be followed by much hand wringing and gurning by the myriad of pundits out there.

Legohead

Banned
Actually VAR is giving the pundits so much more to talk about when VAR should be clearing up all the loose ends and giving them nothing to talk about but the actual football. Instead of discussing refereeing mistakes like they did pre VAR, they are now just discussing VAR mistakes instead so nothing has changed.

Legohead

Banned
David De Gea is pants.

IndoMike

Is "kicked in the Watford area" a euphemism for "kicked in the ballz" ?

Legohead

Banned
Title race over already.

IndoMike

Title race over already.
No.

Legohead

Banned
Man City have no chance. Leicester cannot beat the big sides. I'd say it was comfortably done with already.