• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge Utd FA Cup 1st round replay Official Match Day Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another home game, another away side without much thought of attacking, and City with little idea to break them down. The first half was worse than Saturday. To slow moving the ball, too many touches and little to threaten the box. Patient play is ok if it ends up having some purpose.

Second half was a bit better, then Seymour came on. He had a sharpness to his game that was missing elsewhere. He won possession a few times when he had no right. The goal was patient build up play into a threatening area, then came some purpose. Seymour had a sharp run in behind which demanded a sharp, quick pass and got one from Collins. First time cross on the byline, hard and low, fizzed across the six yard area. A tap in for the Fish. And that was the game.

David Treharne

A really dull evening of football. City, during t he first half seemed incapable of being quick enough to break down the Cambridge defence which quite often strung 5 across the back. Most of the City attacks were down the right hand side, and I'm sorry to reassert that Sweeney really has to try and be more decisive in attack, and more careful with his passing (that latter comment actually applied to several players). It wasn't until Sparkes was brought on that we had any real width. Gratifying to see Bowman being rested, and also Seymour getting some game time. Fisher is really not very good at retaining the ball. As someone has already observed, a win is a win, but it was a dour display against a not very good Cambridge side. Marginally better than Saturday (we scored a goal) but the beautiful game it was not.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Four clean sheets in a row at home in the proper first team competitions, i.e. the league and FA cup.

That is very impressive.

IndoMike

Four clean sheets in a row at home in the proper first team competitions, i.e. the league and FA cup.

That is very impressive.
Yes, if we can make our attacking midfield /attack a bit more creative/dynamic without disturbing our defense we should do very well.
We have central midfielders who can pass, but they can't really dribble past defenders to create a space.
Good to hear that Seymour took up a good position to receive the pass from Collins and set up the Fish.

budegrecian

First time I've heard Matt Taylor voice criticism of the fans, I think.

CWH-NYC_

Still enjoying Matt’s post match reflections, I seem to be able to understand every point he makes, refreshing and insightful!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
More from the Fishmonger here, he genuinely seems like a good bloke who is a real team player.

geoffwp

First time I've heard Matt Taylor voice criticism of the fans, I think.
Oh dear. I seem to remember Tisdale getting castigated for it. Never a good move so i hope if it did happen it was just a moment of frustration.

budegrecian

Oh dear. I seem to remember Tisdale getting castigated for it. Never a good move so i hope if it did happen it was just a moment of frustration.
It sounded like frustration to be fair; he basically said the fans need to get behind the team in tight games such as this & that there's no need for silly chanting. I 'm guessing he's referring to the 'we've had a shot, we've had a shot' chants, in the second half.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
It sounded like frustration to be fair; he basically said the fans need to get behind the team in tight games such as this & that there's no need for silly chanting. I 'm guessing he's referring to the 'we've had a shot, we've had a shot' chants, in the second half.
He certainly was not happy with that stupid chant which would not have helped the players in anyway. His reaction when we scored showed exactly what he thought of it

Last edited: