• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge v Us match day thread. FA CUP 1st rd.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
30 years ago the FA Cup would cause considerable excitement. Now it's just another competition like any other.
Sad to think all that history has gone to waste.
Congratulations to the FA for holding the semi-finals at Wembley, for spreading out the matchdays, and for bigging up the Premier League so much that the FA Cup is now just an afterthought.
I disagree. I still think the FA Cup causes considerable excitement, particularly for lower division sides like ourselves. Times change, things evolve, but the fa cup is and always will be, the greatest domestic cup competition in the land and I thoroughly enjoy it.

TSW1389

Going for a 1-1 draw. Bit of squad rotation and Matt Jay grabbing the goal pushing for more involvement in the league.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
[QUOTE="PeteUSA, post: We're in freefall league wise, and already another top five team has two games in hand of us.
[/QUOTE]

Your idea of freefall is a little different to mine :unsure:

Really looking forward to it today.

Don’t think many of us will be making the trip so should get a great view from the back of the away end.

Not been to an FA Cup game for a while, so excited for that, but agree with Indomike that it’s lost it’s magic somewhat.

Stelios

Will take a draw. Would just like to be in the 2nd round draw at this stage.

*waves tin foil FA Cup cardboard cut out*

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I disagree. I still think the FA Cup causes considerable excitement, particularly for lower division sides like ourselves. Times change, things evolve, but the fa cup is and always will be, the greatest domestic cup competition in the land and I thoroughly enjoy it.
I really hope you're right. As a competition it deserves a lot of respect. I'm up for it too.

Rog H K

Just Arrived in Cambridge after departing 06:19. Had a Green one on my 1st train and one couldn't help oneself from stopping by his seat, point my finger at him and laugh. :giggle:

Come on you Rip Roaring Grecians! Up for the Cup! 3 points today😉

Legohead

Banned
I agree with Snoop. For lower division sides the FA Cup is still magical. It's the Premier League teams that are having a good go at taking that magic away.

Even if a side like us gets a big Premier League or even top Championship side in the Cup, the likelihood is that they will make so many changes to their line up that it devalues the spectacle a bit for me.

15 / 20 years back and more the top sides would put out full strength teams and really go for it regardless but nowadays they think they can make loads of changes and not break sweat until they reach the latter stages. This has devalued the cup.

Yes its still momentous when a lower league side knocks out a Premier League side but it doesn't feel the same if you know what I mean.

For clubs like us it's about a journey. Seeing how far we can go. Seeing how much money we can make and seeing who we get drawn against which in itself can throw up some clubs based in innocuous small towns.

For the Premier League and I'd say most Championship sides now, the FA Cup is about muddling through with changes galore until they suddenly become serious about it if they reach the latter stages.

I'd argue that a lot of fans of these clubs however do still find the FA Cup magical and they would rather visit a new ground and have the chance to stand on an old fashioned terrace than go to somewhere familiar like Leicester or Watford.

Today we have Cambridge which let's face it is a terrible draw. It's when we get knocked out by sides similar to us like Cambridge that is frustrating. We could play them 10 times and win 5 but just depends on the day which way it goes as both sides are evenly matched. Despite our drubbing there the other month.

Getting knocked out by Cambridge is an anti climax and I don't want it to happen today.

The players owe us an away performance to make up for the last three or so horror shows and they need to repay us for that 4-0 capitulation at the hands of Cambridge a few weeks ago.

A fine win against Argiggle is memorable but if you can't buy a win other than that then it soon becomes an issue.

Back on track today please lads! Come on Exeter!

I'm going 3-1 to us.

Last edited:

Stelios

I agree with Snoop. For lower division sides the FA Cup is still magical. It's the Premier League teams that are having a good go at taking that magic away.

Even if a side like us gets a big Premier League or even top Championship side in the Cup, the likelihood is that they will make so many changes to their line up that it devalues the spectacle a bit for me.

15 / 20 years back and more the top sides would put out full strength teams and really go for it regardless but nowadays they think they can make loads of changes and not break sweat until they reach the latter stages. This has devalued the cup.
Trouble is it does trickle down too. Even some League 1 and 2 clubs make massive changes. "Mid-table League 1 Club FC made 8 changes to their line up from their last league game" is all too often heard on the highlights in the evenings.

It's a nuisance for the so-called bigger clubs. The really unforgivable ones are clubs like Bournemouth who are safe from relegation but pick their 2nd and 3rd choice players and get dumped out early. "The starting 11 I picked were good enough to win". Obviously not......... Steve Coppell used to do the same at Reading. What a misery he was!

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
City's name on the trophy this year, has to happen once in my lifetime doesn't it ? ;)