• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anonymous. We have to stay above that kind of talk. Millions of people voted to remain and I am sure we were right, for the many reasons that we have stated thousands of times.
But the electorate was fed a lot of fake/misleading/incomplete information and were too ready to believe it. Many wanted to believe it, which means there are many Brits who don't want immigration, who are very nationalistic, who are racist, who are fed up with everything, who don't care about the exchange of ideas and culture +-+.
But if we just insult them we don't make any progress. Somehow we have to persuade them that they were wrong. Hopefully our education system is broadening the minds of our kids. And many schools are now intercultural too, which should help.
Perhaps after leaving the EU people will realize what a mistake it was and there will be a strong movement to re-enter the EU, of they'll have us back

Last edited by a moderator:

IndoMike

I think the Tory austerity era is/was made worse by their eagerness to politicise the cuts, the swingeing cuts to certain public services IMO could’ve been offset by a general rise in taxes and by not initially ring fencing the health, education and welfare budgets.
Austerity was the easy, unimaginative way to deal with the economic crisis. The problem with austerity is that it crushes people's hopes and squeezes the economy.
It pushes people and the economy further into a corner.
Clearly increasing taxes on the rich was one solution. Increased job training for the! unemployed and support for start-up small businesses would have helped. Companies who had s certain number of employees should have been obligated to hire one extra employee. I'm sure there were other more creative ideas, but the Govt was lazy
and just hit the austerity button. Shameful.

arthur

I'm sorry to keep asking the same question but if Parliament passes the WAB, on the day we leave the EU we will enter the transition period. And nothing will change until 31/13/20.
So why does it matter whether we leave on 31st October, 27th November or 18th January to pick some random dates? What is so sacred about October 31 given that on 1/11 everything will be exactly the same?

Grecian2K

I really hope that it really is 31/13/20 - that means it can NEVER happen! :D

IndoMike

I'm sorry to keep asking the same question but if Parliament passes the WAB, on the day we leave the EU we will enter the transition period. And nothing will change until 31/13/20.
So why does it matter whether we leave on 31st October, 27th November or 18th January to pick some random dates? What is so sacred about October 31 given that on 1/11 everything will be exactly the same?
The difference is that if we leave for example in January the amount of time left for negotiating various issues will be 3 months less than if we leave October 31st. However, that might all become irrelevant

arthur

The shambles goes on. And this man is a winner apparently

elginCity

31 Oct is the sacred do or die in a ditch come what may day.

Grecian2K

And, as the dead-in-a-ditch-line day looms ever closer, should Mr Jinx consider changing his nom-de-web to Mr Jittery?

IndoMike

Well of course. It's all about his position as PM. Fark everybody else. Deceit is his forte. Toad.

Rosencrantz

It's what you get when "detail" is not a strength, maybe we need a lawyer as PM ;)